Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > British Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Ultima 140
Last Post: Neverlost
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 24
Views: 2,476
CfL top motor mount
Last Post: robertarner
Posted On: 03-07-2024
Replies: 1
Views: 804
Post up WCC Engraved Air Cleaner Pics
Last Post: Choppa
Posted On: 03-01-2024
Replies: 66
Views: 20,377
Drive Belt question for Iron Horse Judge
Last Post: veronawhite
Posted On: 02-28-2024
Replies: 1
Views: 498
More...
Old 08-06-2006, 07:12 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
New Triumph Bobber Build

Hello all ... newbie here to the forum ...I have been working on this '73 tiger bobber the last month ... I have never built a bike before ... wrenched on some , use to ride Trials did most my bike work so I could ride in those events.

Lots of wrenching on vintage dirt bikes to ride on our south central ohio farm ... but other then that total newb to the building thing.... I have learned more about bikes in the last month then my 25 years around them LOL...

Any way this looked like a good place to hang in the off hours and maybe get some pointers from more experianced people..

This bike has the '73 forks and front wheel assembly, Motor, and soon will have the '73 conical hub rear wheel ... I tried to use a 16 hog wheel laced to a '61 500 tiger hub ... it just won't work the way i want it too ... The frame was built by someone else for all the '73 stock parts ... Hence why the 16 won't work on it .... It could ;would just take more work and building experiance then what i have available ... Plus i want to get this thing on the road soon ... Bought the 750 tiger at mid ohio vintage days 2 years ago.

the bike has a custom seat made by roberti customs in texas .. The rear fender is off a harley FX I believe it has been cut and flipped around back/front ... The cool thing about this bike is the 61 tiger 500 tank it is different then almost all the other triumph tanks i see used on bobbers. It has the nice 1" wide chrome strap that runs down the center of the tank I don't have on yet in the pics.

Lots to do still as you will see ...Wiring .. brakes....rear and front tire ...oil tank .. smooth all the sheet metal and paint it.. controls ... speedo...line everything up all kinda fun stuff

I am also waiting to finish this to start building a more standard looking Triumph bobber using a 64 t120 frame i have and a 63 650 t120 motor.

Hope to post more pics as I finish it ... Till then may all rides be safe and all builds go quick.

Primate

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 71 Xlch
Send a message via AIM to dnm Send a message via Yahoo to dnm
Not Ranked     
Hey bro, looks damn good so far. Im also new to the building aspect. Im in grove city so if you ever wanna bounce ideas or hit the roadf, hit me up.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: '69 Triumph 500 bob
Not Ranked     
Wow that's a funky frame. What ideas do you have for your oilbag?
Also you'll need to run a chain tensioner on that I'm thinking. How many inches of stretch in the rear?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:10 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I am thinking about using a tensioner I saw on ebay .... I am probably going to fab my oil tank ... I want it to be a vertical mounted tank ,I have seen some old tanks that mount that way.

The frame has 4" stretch and 5 degrees rake ... Back to the chain real quick I have a question .... I know my chain is a 530 , but you would have to buy 2 chains and dual master link them for the length I need ... My question is gleaner combines use a 530 chain that looks to be identical to the 530 on my bike.

the 530 used on the combine runs the auger head and these things move tons of shelled corn for hours on end at 2800rpm ... so as long as it matches up i believe it could handle the stress of being on a bike ...plus you can get it in any length you want and cut it down.

Is 530 chain 530 chain no matter what the use is?
Old 08-07-2006, 04:01 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Here is the tensioner i am looking at using ... From what the maker says it rides correct and self adjusts ... it looks to use 2 contact points once installed which may help with it staying loaded with tension. Cost $78 ... I'll let ya know how it works if i go with it.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:04 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Well I spent 4 hours making my speedo mount ... but I am happy I got this speedo off a 61 500cc tiger same bike I got the tank from ...
Only reason I even make a deal about it is cause of the type speedo it is very rare old british speedo made by smith's notice it goes clockwise 10-120 from top to top.

Old 08-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: CHC Shovelhead
Not Ranked     
Nice bike

Nice looking bike. My partner and I are building one similar to yours from a 66' Bonneville, our tank looks alot like your's and I love that look. We also live in central ohio and are opening a powder coating shop and will also be doing polishing and media blasting. We are in the process of polishing the entire engine case from our 650. Check out or site at www.courthousecustom.com and maybe we can do some work for you in the future. Hope to here from you or see ya out on that bobber. Jason
Old 08-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 36&48 Chief,'98CustomSofttail,'54Triumph
Not Ranked     
530 chain is 530 chain but; a good motorcycle chain will have O-rings or teflon washers to prevent dirt from getting into the roller area preventing wear and excessive slack. You can get a M/C chain in any length you need from specialty suppliers. You can also get the long chains in nickle plate or chrome to add some bling. I've got nickle plate on my '54 and it's about foot longer than what a stock would be. ( don't remember the link count, but there charts were you can take your tape measurment and convert to links for ordering)
Old 08-24-2006, 07:27 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I found a 530 x 130 link it is about 6 links to much with the wheel set all the way forward, will work out nicely I believe.

I use to work in CH actually long time ago lived there for awhile also welded egr tubes ,brake lines and fuel lines for ford , nissan and yamaha at bundy tubing ... I did hand welding though not the automated welding. Nice bikes!
Old 10-03-2006, 06:37 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Here is my custom oil tank that is designed to go behind the seat and in front of the rear fender ... I also got my fender struts done and have not took a pic yet with the tail light on and mounted but will have more pics to come once I mount the tank .

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 71 Xlch
Send a message via AIM to dnm Send a message via Yahoo to dnm
Not Ranked     
Looks trick man
Old 10-04-2006, 07:09 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks, I was going to use the rubber studs to mount , but they had way to much movement in them ... So I opted for a hard mount .
Old 01-12-2007, 08:22 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Well bike is completely tore back down and is at paint .... I am as giddy as a school girl though waiting to get the parts back from paint and start slappin it back together ....everything goes right this bike should be running and on the road by march that is my goal.

Either way I am going to get some pics for sure and will post step by step til complete .... one thing I love about this bike is the open spaces allow for a easy tear down ... hope it leads to a easy assembly

Once this one is done I am moving on to my 63/64 triumph ..... I would like to do a honda cb 650 or a honda magna into a bob or chop too sometime . I will post these hopefully when I get to them heheheh ... Look up my auctions on ebay too.....Been selling triumph harley and honda parts as I come across things I dont need look for seller Primate98 ,Later all
Old 01-17-2007, 08:17 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...nkey/tank2.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...key/tank-1.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ey/oiltank.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...nkey/frame.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...onkey/drum.jpg

Here is the paint on the frame ,tank, oil tank, and brake drum ... The paint on the frame is a straight black
3base/5clear which looks like glass when seeing it in person ... I am happy with that ...

The oil tank and gas tank plus the drum are the same black with a ultra fine silver flake ..... My concern with it so far is there is so much flake when in the light it appears grey .... and as you can see from the gas tank pics when slightly out of the light it appears black ....

in the pic from other side it appears grey .... The paint scheme when final is suppose to be silver on the bottom front of the tank under the badge matching the original paint scheme on the "61 Triumph tiger 500 gas tank black everywhere else with the flake...... I fear when the bike hits bright sunlight it will appear grey instead of black

... Get some good sunlight I am taking it outside and looking at it .... If I dont like it my only other thought is to take the flake out and shoot the tanks and stuff like the frame.... Dunno let me know what ya guys think