Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > Painters/Seats/Chop Parts/General Distributors > Brian's Custom Paint

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
SAT Motorsports rigid attempt.
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 39
Views: 1,643
New CFL acquisition...
Last Post: Rigid Heathen
Posted On: 10-18-2020
Replies: 3
Views: 262
Owner's manual
Last Post: golfish
Posted On: 10-16-2020
Replies: 6
Views: 262
I'm Baaaaaaaack...
Last Post: MAKO6
Posted On: 10-14-2020
Replies: 1
Views: 140
10 My First Build... an 06 CFL 2Up 2Out
Last Post: Rigid Heathen
Posted On: 10-13-2020
Replies: 19
Views: 553
More...
Old 08-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Paint question, please

First timer building a Harley style Fat Bob .. fat tank etc. A lot of the parts (engine, springer, etc) were available in all chrome or chrome/black. I picked chrome/black. I have decided the rest of the bike will be painted/powder coated black. Basically, if it ain't chrome it is black.

I have NO knowledge about painting .. but was wondering .. do you get 'more' black out of one kind of paint than another? I don't even know what they paint bikes with but I want REALLY BLACK if it makes a difference. Does anyone use lacquer anymore? Heck, maybe black is simply black .. I just don't know.

Need a quick 'lesson' from a painter on this. I might ask "black lacquer under clear coat?" What would a painter do to give me a GREAT gloss black? (plan to powder coat frame).

thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 02 Redneck 100"
Not Ranked     
House of Kolor all the way. Lacquer is old school and a thing of the past if you ask me.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom 2000 FLSTF
Not Ranked     
OK John, here goes.

When I 1st started painting, black was black, but as time went on it was noticed that depending on what auto manufacturer's vehicle you were dealing with, some blacks were bluer or browner etc,...etc,....

I have a standard black that is called for on about 80% of the black vehicles I paint but the other 20% call for a special mixed black with certain tints in it to change the look to match the vehicle.

Some blacks like GM's 8555 has 4 or 5 alternates to them meaning depending on what plant the vehicle was painted in, or what year it was built, a different formula is used for each individual vehicle even though the same 8555 code is on all the vehicles.

As long as you use the same paint or paint code on everything you paint you won't have to worry about them matching.

As far as lacquer is concerned, although some painters, (including a few who frequent this forum), still use it, it is old technology and compared to today's urethane paint systems, very brittle and not durable or chip resistant.

It was a long time favorite because it was "painter friendly" because it dried very quickly, which made getting runs and sags not a problem, and dirt in the job could easily be wet sanded out. Lacquer dried dull and took a lot of work wet sanding and buffing to bring it to a shine, which in turn made it very labor intensive and difficult to do small parts like you plan to do.

I would recommend urethane for it's superior shine and durability.

Some painters say a single stage black looks deeper and darker than a 2 stage black which is a black base coat with clear over it.

I prefer clearing everything and suggest it for you because the base coat dries very quickly and then you can concentrate on applying the clear for the shine. With the single stage black, as you apply it, you have to get color coverage "and" get an even flow or shine at the same time.

Any other questions, just ask away, and I'll try to help.

Last edited by FRANKTHECRANK; 08-23-2009 at 07:06 PM..
Old 08-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
There are different colors of black. Some look "brownish", so most custom painters use a "blue-black" instead. I use House Of Kolor basecoat black, which I finish with R-M Diamont Clear urethane. Also, the better finish you can get on the paint, the deeper and darker it will look, so I would include sanding and buffing in your plan.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom 2000 FLSTF
Not Ranked     
Hey mods., I think this should be in the "paint tech" area for more exposure instead of in this section.

Just a thought.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
You guys are terrific. thank you so much. I will print and keep all this in mind, and I am sure I will come out with a good looking black. FWIW, I originally did post my question in Paint Tech and suddenly got the impression I was in the wrong place. Things looked like it was strictly for painters .. so I edited it to say 'oops, I should not be posting here, please delete". I am new to the forum and trying to do the right thing.

thank you all .. I have a much better 'background' and can be a little bit intelligent in getting my bike painted. Thank you again.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
base coat clear coat homie, or just go with the krylon for the hardcore look, just my 2 cents
Old 08-25-2009, 02:01 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 113" Softail
Not Ranked     
Hey John, what are you using for a motor??? Have you seen those Black gem motors put out by Ultima? Basically it's powdercoat black cases and everything else black chrome... Also, I see your in Waco.. I live in Waxahachie, but have my Father and brothers in Dawson and Hubbard.. If you need any help on the build let me know...
Old 08-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Ultima 100 CI "#296-251 Complete Black Finish"

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/diamondcut.html

BUT .. it is not listed at this website under the BLACK GEM engines.

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/blackgem.html

Glad to meet you guys. hope to do some ridin's with some of you. And thank you for your replies.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:21 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 113" Softail
Not Ranked     
yeah I think the Black gem only comes in a 113" and 127".... so if oyu are wanting to go with a 100 might be a problem... I wish they had those diamond cut ones when I bought mine last year..