Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > Big Bear Chopper Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
First build - beginner questions
Last Post: lorax
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 6
Views: 82
WTB: chopper fucker battery box
Last Post: John Spartan
Posted On: 10-14-2019
Replies: 7
Views: 3,314
My Evo 5 & speed in FLH 4 speed frame
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 10-13-2019
Replies: 20
Views: 509
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Posted On: 10-12-2019
Replies: 41
Views: 6,797
Project Blast!
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 10-10-2019
Replies: 14
Views: 968
More...
Old 03-25-2008, 06:44 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010, Brouhard Designs chopper, S&S124TC
Not Ranked     
Hey Screamin Demon,

Had a gas tank mounting tab weld break and went through two rear fenders due to welds breaking at the mounting tabs. No, the complaint on the swing arm was someone else, I have a Devil's Advocate not a Venom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin Demon
To Larry:
I see in your complaint that "This is not the first weld on the frame to have broken".
What was the other break or breaks?
Are you the same one to send complaint about 05 Venom Swing Arm Weld Break?

Just curious?

Last edited by Lightnin'Larry; 03-25-2008 at 07:09 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 98 Harley/06 BBC
Not Ranked     
Thanks for info.
Hope all works out well for you and everyone.
I feel for ya.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: "Broken Neck Chopper"
Not Ranked     
I have not called because I have not received any official notification, in writing, as to what the true problem is and what their plan is to fix it.

Just because someone posted something on here or any other website, it is not official word from the factory and/or the NHTSA.

And what am I affraid of? I am affraid of not being able to ride a bike all summer. I am affraid that some freaking guy that had enough money to buy a dealership is going to be expected to half ass fix my bike. I am affraid of some other weld on my bike, that the same guy that welded the neck welded, is going to bust and I am going to splatter myself on the road and probably take a buddy with me.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 06 BBC DA...
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman-98
Just because someone posted something on here or any other website, it is not official word from the factory and/or the NHTSA.
so why waste your time posting?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Big Bear Venom Chopper, S&S 107
Not Ranked     
can't we do some sort of inspection of the welds on the neck area to see if there is some sign of stress cracking on the welds, if no sign of stress ride?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2008, 08:09 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom1
can't we do some sort of inspection of the welds on the neck area to see if there is some sign of stress cracking on the welds, if no sign of stress ride?
the problem is that some/all? of the welds had very little if any penetration. there may not be a crack, and then it lets loose you dont want to be that guy, just ask Lightening Larry.

if it was me, id be on the phone with BBC demanding a new frame. id offer them the one they sold to me as a return.

if they didnt go for that, its time for lawyers, class action suits, etc.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor  
Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005 BBC Venom Chopper, S&S 96
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairwaymike
why dont you guys just call up BBC directly??????
For me, I prefer to wait for additional information from BBC. For the last month or so we've had to deal with allegations from both sides. Some sort of testing/evaluation was conducted by the company. Do I really think that by calling the company they are going to give me information that would not be privvy and shared with others?

Personally, I'd like to see what the next written communication is from BBC. I don't believe that by calling the company they will come to a conclusion of their plan any quicker. Nor do I believe they will really be influenced by anything I have to say.

Since sometime in 2005 their entire production has shifted to in-house manufacturing. I doubt anyone who has a newer than 2005 model should have any concerns. Would this problem with frame welds bankrupt the company?
Highly unlikely, in my opinion of course.

RC Components had to recall over 800 frames--done at no cost supposedly to the customer. Are they still in business?

There are a good number of people who dislike BBC either because of bad blood that flowed before I ever thought of buying one of their bikes or because Kevin was able to formulate a business plan that moved a small bike shop to become and then quickly outgrow a Mom and Pop bike business to a company that continues to expand its bike line into (shudder!) baggers! and other styles with all sorts of fairings, etc.
They've worked together with S&S (one of the most highly thought of engine manufacturers in the business)--bringing a nice piece of action to that company.
So their success has definitely made them a target of the other builders who might harbor some jealousy or envy.

Once I have some better information to go by concerning what the "fix" or "repair" is gonna be, I'll be much better prepared to make any phone call to engage in a meaningful discussion with them.

I know some people are thinking Class Action, etc., but I'm still wondering about the merits of something like that. I buy enough products from different companies that I usually get something in the mail a couple times/year advising me of a Class Action against XYZ, INC. and that if I did business with them during the period of X to Z I could sign on and take part in their settlement.
Of course if you join the Class Action you must reject the company offer and wait in line for the courts to settle the matter.

Guys want to start riding soon.
Who ya gonna call? (Ghost Busters?)

The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness.

"Gentlemen, we must all hang together or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

Old 03-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Big Bear Venom Chopper, S&S 107
Not Ranked     
If you have the welds X-Ray you should be able to see if there is enough penetration and if the welds are ok or not?
Old 03-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010 HD CrossBones
Not Ranked     
hey cenjim....through out this thread many ppl told me a recall was very unlikely , then it happened , then ppl stated this was one failure , then more came out , ppl bamed Larry , then the no ride letters came out , so far everything that i was suspecting to happen , happened , .i cant put my head in the sand and say "no concern hear , i have a 07 " ..anyone with half a brain should be concerned whatever make or year they have , untill their findings are brought out.....as far as calling them -- even i called them , i received the mtr mt letter and wanted to know why , im not just going to wait and see what they say ..i want to see what they are saying from start to finish ...that means alot to me after giving them 30k of my money....your rite some companies came thru situations like this but many havent also ....it all depends on their finances , lawsuits and many other things ....
Old 03-26-2008, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor  
Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005 BBC Venom Chopper, S&S 96
Not Ranked     
You gave them 30k for a bike, not an investment. Investments come with a disclosure or warning.
It's an expensive toy. Looks like a lot of people take out loans to buy their toys nowadays. Usually you take out a loan for a necessity, not for a vacation, not for an investment (unless it's a sure thing and how would anybody really know?).
You've got a bike you can ride, or not if you choose not to.
You could trade it for a Harley or a Honda.
But you can't eat it, you can't live in it.
Everything we do involves risk of some degree.
Everybody today has gotten used to instant gratification. I want it. I buy it. I got it.

When there's a problem, people want it solved right away.
("I paid $XXK thousands of $$$ for this!)

or the latest in ripoff commercials--"It's my money and I want it now!"

All that aside, people buy a product and fully expect and deserve a functioning product.
It's up to the manufacturer to meet that need.

So if I had an '07 Merc, I'd be riding it and not sitting here typing on my computer--that was made in China, where they seem to put lead or some other dangerous material in everything they produce for export to the USA.

And even if the company went out of business you'd still have a bike you could ride, or choose not to.

The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness.

"Gentlemen, we must all hang together or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

Old 03-26-2008, 06:41 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: CUSTOM MOPED
Not Ranked     
No one is going to beat Cenjim in an argument of reasoning. I don’t necessarily agree with everything he says, but damn he’s sure got the art of reasoning down to art form.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:42 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by CENJIM
You gave them 30k for a bike, not an investment. Investments come with a disclosure or warning.
It's an expensive toy. Looks like a lot of people take out loans to buy their toys nowadays. Usually you take out a loan for a necessity, not for a vacation, not for an investment (unless it's a sure thing and how would anybody really know?).
You've got a bike you can ride, or not if you choose not to.
You could trade it for a Harley or a Honda.
But you can't eat it, you can't live in it.
Everything we do involves risk of some degree.
Everybody today has gotten used to instant gratification. I want it. I buy it. I got it.

When there's a problem, people want it solved right away.
("I paid $XXK thousands of $$$ for this!)

or the latest in ripoff commercials--"It's my money and I want it now!"

All that aside, people buy a product and fully expect and deserve a functioning product.
It's up to the manufacturer to meet that need.

So if I had an '07 Merc, I'd be riding it and not sitting here typing on my computer--that was made in China, where they seem to put lead or some other dangerous material in everything they produce for export to the USA.

And even if the company went out of business you'd still have a bike you could ride, or choose not to.
...ok..all your assumptions about me are wrong....i did not take out a loan..paid cash ..cash is king....im not a yuppie rider who doesnt care about 30k cause their rich to begin with......and i do ride my 07 every chance i have .....if you ck the dates when i have been posting you will see i dont spend alot of time on the computer...i just came back here when i got my mtr mt letter....i respect everyones opinion here...seems like you just want ppl to belive the same you do...not happening here ..this is a forum and everyone should respect each others opinion...i respect yours and i dont make presumptions about your decision on buying a chopper or your finances..so try to understand everyone has their own opinion here........i am a very proud owner of this chop...i brag about all the time especially when i own it outrite but this recall troubles me...i dont like corps and what they do to the little guy and i will speak up everytime and not make excuses for them..... but their is a down side to the company that just happened and many ppl feel there being treated unfairly.....arent you reading the other posts ?......ohh btw can you give me written proof that 07 models were welded differnently and by whom ? or explain the difference that one year made , bcause my frame was made in 06 ( at least i was told that ) ....i dont want your opinion on this just facts.....
Old 03-26-2008, 06:48 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Merc07, dont sweat cenjims comments. he has been defending and promoting BBC from the start. I dont think he would be pissed if all his welds on his bike were bad.

If i had a BBC bike, any year, id be checking the welds. I wouldnt trust BBC considering the posts they have made recently.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:48 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
also cenjim i forgot to tell you i didnt buy this as an investment..iam no stranger to how this shit works after building many cars and taking losses...i bought this to ride...ride ...ride...
Old 03-26-2008, 06:49 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRSA
No one is going to beat Cenjim in an argument of reasoning. I donít necessarily agree with everything he says, but damn heís sure got the art of reasoning down to art form.
not sure about that