Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > All Chopper Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 47
Views: 22,712
Eyes
Last Post: Shovel52
Posted On: 12-04-2019
Replies: 7
Views: 2,241
FXR / FLT Rigid builds?
Last Post: Spade115
Posted On: 12-02-2019
Replies: 9
Views: 3,701
Oil vs fuel vs transmission line?
Last Post: Am4wag
Posted On: 11-30-2019
Replies: 6
Views: 838
"the Flang Beater" 78 xs650
Last Post: KurseD
Posted On: 11-24-2019
Replies: 41
Views: 9,677
More...
Old 01-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2003 wcc dragon, 113"
Not Ranked     
special construction blue tag

is there a specific spot that the chp makes you put the blue tag you get when you register for special construction ?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Not sure about California but in AZ it just has to be visible
Old 01-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2011 Custom Chopper- SOLD
Not Ranked     
Do you have the blue tag already? Where did he tell you to mount it? Does your frame have a Vin on it already?
Old 01-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 113" RSD, prostreet dropseat
Not Ranked     
I had a serial# already stamped on my frame, and that # was on the frame mso. Chips did'nt put one on.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
no tag yet, havent done the dmv chp shuffle yet. i am missing mso for frame, but have a bill of sale, the frame has a vin#, so im assuming that i will get a blue plate, just dont want it to booger up my
paint job.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2012, 06:36 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010 Custom EVO
Not Ranked     
You won't get a blue tag in California. Only guys who build their own one off frames get blue tagged because they aren't frame manufactures with a bank of authorized VIN numbers they can stamp onto the necks. If you have a bill of sale the CHP will only run the VIN stamped on your frame through their stolen parts database (along with the numbers off your motor and transmission) If it comes back clean (they do it as your standing there) that number, which in your case I'm assuming was stamped by WCC, will become your VIN.

California is one of the easiest states to register a special construction bike. There's no inspection, just a simple lights check you can have done at any authorized motorcycle shop. And if you use your wits you can even get around that.

The bike doesn't even have to be running to get registered. In fact you can show up at the CHP station with just a bare frame with a motor and transmission loosely bolted into it. All the CHP cares about is that your frame, transmission, and motors numbers aren't hot. The rest is just a paperwork shuffle at the DMV. Nobody at the DMV will even see your bike.

Last edited by NickD; 01-27-2012 at 06:38 PM..
Old 01-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
thanks nick, really needed some positive feedback. i read a few post on other fourms, and some sound very similar to what your saying. so cross my fingers and hope i dont have to blue tag it....
Old 01-28-2012, 08:16 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 113" RSD, prostreet dropseat
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickD View Post
You won't get a blue tag in California. Only guys who build their own one off frames get blue tagged because they aren't frame manufactures with a bank of authorized VIN numbers they can stamp onto the necks. If you have a bill of sale the CHP will only run the VIN stamped on your frame through their stolen parts database (along with the numbers off your motor and transmission) If it comes back clean (they do it as your standing there) that number, which in your case I'm assuming was stamped by WCC, will become your VIN.

California is one of the easiest states to register a special construction bike. There's no inspection, just a simple lights check you can have done at any authorized motorcycle shop. And if you use your wits you can even get around that.

The bike doesn't even have to be running to get registered. In fact you can show up at the CHP station with just a bare frame with a motor and transmission loosely bolted into it. All the CHP cares about is that your frame, transmission, and motors numbers aren't hot. The rest is just a paperwork shuffle at the DMV. Nobody at the DMV will even see your bike.

Question bro, if a SPCN is resold, is dmv going to ask for smog on the transfer?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
just like you said, no blue tag, no hassel, just need light inspection to finish title............F@*K YEAH !
Old 02-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom 2000 FLSTF
Not Ranked     
I wish RI was that easy.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:18 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010 Custom EVO
Not Ranked     
>>Question bro, if a SPCN is resold, is dmv going to ask for smog on the transfer?<<

Only manufactures are subject to any type of CARB (California Air Resource Board) rules. And that's why the MoCo can't sell new bikes in California without catalytic converters and whatever else is on there to meet the rules. People who home build a motorcycle aren't considered manufacturers and are exempt from all CARB requirements including during any eventual resale of the bike. Now, here comes the rub. Technically you are allowed to build (and sell) only one bike in a lifetime.

But the upside is nobody really keeps track. Once you register a SPC bike there's no file sitting on a California DMV computer saying you are done registering SPC bikes. And there's no smog inspection (like for cages) and no procedure in place for you to bring a second or third build somewhere to have it checked that catalytic converters are installed.

The only thing CARB (and the DMV) does enforce is if you buy any motorcycle out of state and try to re-register it in California the bike must have the smog stuff on it, which it won't if it's a 48 state bike, or have 7500 miles on the odometer. The purpose here was to prevent you from going to Arizona and buying a new Harley to bring into California without the smog stuff on it. However, and someone needs to check me on this but I'm not sure if all new Harleys don't have the catalytic converters now. I'm thinking not, but I'm not really sure.

Just to round this all out let's look at smaller motorcycle manufactures actually in California. Well, now that WCC and BBC are gone I don't think there are any, but let's take them just for instance. I'm pretty sure neither were equipping their bikes with catalytic converters or any other smog stuff. Since both WCC and BBC were considered motorcycle manufacturers I'm not sure how they got away with that except to say CARB is a toothless agency.

So the short answer is no, you won't have any smog issues re-selling a SPC bike, lol . . .

Last edited by NickD; 02-15-2012 at 05:46 PM..