Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > All Chopper Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
5 BDL Primary License Plate Mount
Last Post: Spade115
Posted On: Today
Replies: 25
Views: 4,296
Hi to you ;p
Last Post: muddychops
Posted On: 08-16-2022
Replies: 5
Views: 258
clutch cable adjustment location
Last Post: vtchopperdude
Posted On: 08-09-2022
Replies: 8
Views: 279
Roadmax 6 spd LSD side gasket
Last Post: vtchopperdude
Posted On: 08-07-2022
Replies: 3
Views: 235
2000 Wide Glide Rear Wheel
Last Post: Pops-2
Posted On: 07-25-2022
Replies: 0
Views: 101
More...
Old 10-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Texas Chopper 111 S&S
Not Ranked     
Swingarm

Hi,

I wrote earlier about my Daytec repaired swingarm. The power coating looked real good but they did not bake it long. The paint started to rub off where the rear brake line comes across.

I don't know if waiting a little to let the paint 'cure' is the answer here or to let them know it needs to bake longer.

Other than this it still holding together!

Hope this helps.

Bill V.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 AIH Texas Chopper S&S 111 CI
Not Ranked     
I'm a licensed professional engineer-structural by trade.

If the weld tore out a chunk of the tube, then it is not the weld or welder that is the problem. It is a flaw in the design of the connection of the arm to the tube.

The way to correct that would be to add more weld and connection area (spread out the load area to the tube) using a stiffener plate or doubler that wraps around the tube and then welds to the arm.

I would like to see a good close up photo of the tube and arm where the weld broke when you finally get the rear end apart.

There are large guys that ride these bikes that are over 600 lbs.....the bike is basically designed for a 1,200 lb gross load and since the bike ways in at 600 lbs you do the math for what it is capable to carry passenger wise.......

IMO bottom line is this shoulld never happen, pot hole or otherwise.

BTW, I just bought one of these and I love it and the overall bike and frame is very well constructed from what I can see on the surface.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2011, 08:07 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom metric chopper
Not Ranked     
I agree that if the metal tore next to the weld, that the weld is not at fault if it breaks in the heat affected zone(HAZ) as long as the correct filler material was used.
Otherwise the design of the weldment may be at fault.

It has been recently discovered that some concave TIG welds can be in tension and so more filler material should be used to get the weld profile to not be concave.
NASCAR has changed some rules regarding welding on racing car frames for this reason. MIG welding is allowed now for this reason on steel frames.
You can read some articles about that online.

Of coarse we still do not have a decent photo of the weldment damage.

Donald Branscom certified welder
Certified welding inspector/American Welding Society

Last edited by donald branscom; 10-21-2011 at 08:43 AM..
Old 11-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2003 Texas Chopper
Not Ranked     
Hello, I got my swingarm back from daytec and it looks great! They did great job and updated the area that broke with a gusset on the back side and boxed the whole rear of the swingarm in. As someone above wrote it looks tough as a tank now. The powdercoating also looks greats and matches right on. I really dont think the bike was ever overloaded either. My girl and I together dont probably top 300 lbs. She rarely goes with me and the bulk..i would say 98% of the miles on my bike are me and I weigh around 165 give or take. I dont ride aggressive or abuse the bike either. I think the frames on these bikes look very well made. I think that point that broke on mine is kind of the achilles heal of the whole thing. I still love the bike and plan on keeping it a long time. Sorry I didnt get pics with the swingarm off but I was in a hurry to ship it out and forgot. I bolted in on last night and everything looks and lines up fine. My hats off to daytec for sticking behind their product.
Dan
Old 11-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2003 Texas Chopper
Not Ranked     
Hello,
Sorry I did not get closup pictures but I do a bit of welding here and there. To me, it looked like the weld across the back side of the bracket towards the tire was not sufficient. It looks like over time this weld cracked and that stressed the side welds and they eventually pulled out of the bracket. You could see that it did actually rip out so I think the weld was done correctly. I was told it happens more because of the Ironhorse design. Im Not an expert but that was my opinion of what I saw. dan
Old 12-04-2011, 11:24 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 05 american iron horse legend
Not Ranked     
Good to hear your ok . Thats some scary shit! Mr. Skullz , I have a 05 Legend . Could this be a problem on my frame?
Old 12-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005 AIH LSC
Not Ranked     
my buddy had a crack in his 04 texas chopper about a year ago. Phil Day (Daytec) stood behind it 100%. Top notch company.
Old 04-30-2022, 04:46 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 AIM Texas Chopper 111 S&S
Not Ranked     
My 2004 texas chopper swingarm broke the exact same way. Only I was going around 82 MPH on interstate 80 and I skid my locked back wheel flat leaving a very long black streak on the pavement. If I would have touched my front brake or if a semi would have been behind me, I would not be here to write this reply. Yes, I think there should be a recall or at least a warning sent out. Months Before that happened the shock hold bolt broke which was another scary riding scinario. Both happened with only me on the bike.
Old 05-04-2022, 12:20 PM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2007 custom bobber/ hybrid engine
Not Ranked     
It's a food thing that nobody was hurt. It sounds like the same problems that BBC had.

Are they still in business?

It might be a good idea to have all the welds checked. I seem to recall that there is something like an xray done to check welds. Maybe take the bike down to frame only .