Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > All Chopper Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Swing Arm bushings question
Last Post: Spade115
Posted On: 11-18-2019
Replies: 4
Views: 176
starter problem
Last Post: Shovel52
Posted On: 11-16-2019
Replies: 5
Views: 219
Ultima Fat Bastard
Last Post: Timfromflorida
Posted On: 11-16-2019
Replies: 11
Views: 4,237
First build - beginner questions
Posted On: 11-12-2019
Replies: 32
Views: 6,315
Project Blast!
Posted On: 11-12-2019
Replies: 18
Views: 9,938
More...
Old 07-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2006 FLYRITE BOBBER, 2002 NIGHT TRAIN
Not Ranked     
I went through the same issue, but I sent mine out for acid dip and galvanizing before it went to paint. Maybe a little overkill, but well worth the piece of mind. Cost me a couple hundred bucks through the company I work for, but that frame was perfect when I got it back! Never had any problems with the paint after that. My contact is in upper Wisconsin and his work is the best. Just a thought. Good luck with your build and don't get so discouraged, everything can be fixed!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Customs
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C View Post
Exactly! is it advisable to oil the frame HELL NO, but trust me the frame is fine and at worse would need an acid bath or equivalent or a good ol sandblasting. Oil is your painters nightmare due to failure but nothing has compromised your frame at all. Good luck--Drew
brakekleen works fine on gettin all the shit off the frame. Doesn't take much just spray it on cloth and rub fast. Done in five minutes.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2013 Redneck Lowlife / SPCN
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamRock View Post
brakekleen works fine on gettin all the shit off the frame. Doesn't take much just spray it on cloth and rub fast. Done in five minutes.
I second that... Cheap enough that you can go over it a few times so you can rest easy.

I'd probably hose it with a brakleen a few times but even go one further step and pick up some PPG wax and grease remover for a good wipe down before priming. If you do any paintwork... it's a basic staple in the shop. DX330 or DX440. The key to that stuff is wipe on... and wipe off. It only raises the contaminents. Most will tranfer to your rag but you'll want to wipe clean with a fresh rag before it dries. Brakleen first due to cost... then followup with the PPG product.
I've got a leaky mockup motor and trans in my frame now and there's oil on the tubes. Doesn't worry me too much.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Breaking Shit Since 1981
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: CFL Under the Knife
Send a message via Yahoo to wildwill8
Not Ranked     
I juus sand blast mine once a year till I am ready to build it

CAN YOU DRIVE BETTER WITH THAT CELL PHONE UP YOUR ASS
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2011, 04:51 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2 Up CFL 96 S&S
Not Ranked     
Oil can be cleaned. Most parts that are stamped or turned are oiled to ease the process. But, I think WD40 has silicone in it which will kill any paint process in the future. I know of cases where WD40 was just sprayed in the vacinity of paint and it still caused all sorts of problems. DO NOT USE WD40 ON PARTS PRIOR TO PAINT.