Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > All Chopper Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 47
Views: 22,712
Eyes
Last Post: Shovel52
Posted On: 12-04-2019
Replies: 7
Views: 2,241
FXR / FLT Rigid builds?
Last Post: Spade115
Posted On: 12-02-2019
Replies: 9
Views: 3,701
Oil vs fuel vs transmission line?
Last Post: Am4wag
Posted On: 11-30-2019
Replies: 6
Views: 838
"the Flang Beater" 78 xs650
Last Post: KurseD
Posted On: 11-24-2019
Replies: 41
Views: 9,677
More...
Old 02-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
MY bobber ideas for roller.. please read and comment!

Putting together a plan for my bobber.. this is what i got so far and before i finalize these and purchase them please let me know from any of your experience and issues i may have.. Im also going to include the price i can literally buy them for so let me know if they are a good or bad deall thanks AJ

1. 2006 Kraft-tech frame never actually been used has mso is a 0 rake 0 stretch comes with axel and bearings
2. not sure what brand rims but they are mint condition: 40 spoke chrome : 200mm in the rear 21 in in the front
$800.00 altogether for those as a package deal

3. i could get a (6in over) DNA front springer
$250.00 plus shipping 300.00 its never been ridden used for a show only.. (chrome)

this is my idea so far for my rolling chassis please let me know anything else i may need to fit these together and to finalize my roller.. IM STILL CONFUSED TO AS WHAT 6in over means for the springer. I assume it means 6 inches longer then the stock harley springer but what will that mean a far as looks and handling is concerned.. THANKS AJ
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 88" ACM Rigid Bobber
Not Ranked     
What Kraftech frame is it? A 6" over springer is going to require a 38 degree rake or so to work if you're looking for your frame to be level. I have a Kraftech 0 up 0 out 30 degree hardtail with a 2" under DNA springer and I'm running almost level.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
all he called it was a 2006 rigid frame. he doesnt no the model.. $800 for the two rims and frame seems like a good deal? and your saying im going to need to go with -2 under for my springer to work with that frame??
Old 02-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 88" ACM Rigid Bobber
Not Ranked     
The price is fine for the frame and wheels. If you find out the rake you can do some calculations to figure out what length front end you'll need. I recommend to hold off on the front end until you have the frame and your wheels with a tires on them. With the rear tire and wheel mounted you can get your frame stance the way you want it, then you can measure the height of your front axle, that will tell you what length springer you need.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Club Chopper Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom
Send a message via Yahoo to pushrod243
Not Ranked     
I agree that a 6" over springer is prolly too long no matter what the rake is (within reason) but the frame and wheels sounds like a fair deal
Suite 104
Sorrento, FL 32776
www.scootersperformance.com
(four0seven)330-2056

Old 02-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
thanks ill keep you updated on this post
Old 02-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
SO as u guys know im planning a build.. these are my options

I can possibly get a 1988 Harley Sportster 1200 execellent condition 16k miles ready to ride for under 3k completely stock..

& I can also buy a 2006 Kraftech-frame zero rake zero stretch 200mm rear width never used with axels & bearings with two chrome 40 spoke rims front and a rear 200mm tire/rim possibly a free pair of ape hangars as well... FOR $800.00

As far as im concerned theyyre both prettty fair deals at least i think so what do u guys think.. And should i just get both and transfer everything off the 1200 to the kraftech frame with performance rims or should i just chopp up the 1200 and just scratch the kraftech frame and rims altogether and just work with the 1200.. or scratch the 1200... PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK TRYING TO MAKE THE SMARTEST DECISION FOR MY FIRST BUILD with out giving up quality!1
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2011, 03:04 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Big Dog / Buell build in the making
Not Ranked     
might be a stupid question bit is the frame set up for a sporty motor?

how many parts from the sporty would you plan on using? Buying a running bike is always a good start as you know things are in working order so you're off to a head start. You then sell the parts you don't need. For a first build I'd be tempted to do that if you can
Old 02-13-2011, 03:55 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
More then likely that Kraftech frame is set up for a big twin (panhead, shovelhead, evo). Wouldn't be impossible to put a sporty drive train in there, but it would require a bit of cutting and welding. To me it really isn't worth it since bobber style rigid frames for sportys are quite abundant.
Personally if I had the choice, I would go for the running bike and run it while I save up parts to do a frame up build using the drivetrain, wheels, frontend, hand controls, etc from the running bike.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
The essense of "Bobber" is much like "Chopper". That is, taking an original bike and stripping away as much unessential material as possible. The bobber is mostly reduction in lights, fenders and extranious sheetmetal or decoration. The chopper usually involves cutting the chassis in a number of areas to acheive a desired appearance. The key to both styles is using an original motorcycle.

When different frames are used, the bike now becomes a "Custom". It can still be in the style of a bobber or chopper but is now just a collection of parts. This DOES NOT make it a bad thing.

The advantage of an original bike is that all the parts should fit and match. Building your own from scratch requires that you know a lot about the various drivelines and changes in the bikes (HD) history. Otherwise there will be issues with fitment and alignment.

Putting a sporty engine into a BT frame would be a nightmare for anyone but an advanced builder (fabrication experience). The results may not look particularly good either. The engines set in their respective frames in different ways...past the obvious mounting and clearance issues. Then there is the less obvious mounting and clearance issues. A custom frame is also likely to need some fabrication for a number of various accessory mounts that will be needed or desired for the end appearance of the bike.

Best path might be to buy a good bike and start making changes to it a little at a time. If a rigid frame is the goal, then there are bolt on rear sections. (or a more advanced weld on section) There is a ton of work that can be done to a stock bike to make it have it's own personality. Again, the advantage in that the driveline, wiring, etc already fit and work. After an old school build like this, then consider a ground up build with the previous experience.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:38 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Get the sporty and buy a hardtail for the stock frame. You'll have a cool bike for less than half the cash of building that big twin kraftech.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
ya i definitely didnt take into account the obvious if the engine would even fit i just assumed.. thanks for the advice..
Old 02-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
and ya i think im going to go with the bike i obviously have no business taking on a project aqcuring prior experience.. thanks again guys u saved me a lot of money..
Old 02-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Moderator Supreme Deluxe
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: moped, it's a moped
Not Ranked     
just the same as I told you in your original thread. Buy a sporty, ride it. When you're ready have the frame hard tailed and build your dream bobber. If you start a third thread i'll tell you the same thing a third time.

Also, there are plenty of people ready to sell you parts at a great price. They start projects and dont finish them, then they need the cash. Don't feel too compelled to jump on every great deal. You would have ended up with a frame you couldn't use, and a front end that's far too long, and wheels that may or may not have been what you wanted. None of that is a great deal if you can't use it.

Tags
bobber, dna springer