Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > All Chopper Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
First build - beginner questions
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 10-18-2019
Replies: 23
Views: 338
WTB: chopper fucker battery box
Last Post: John Spartan
Posted On: 10-14-2019
Replies: 7
Views: 3,450
My Evo 5 & speed in FLH 4 speed frame
Posted On: 10-13-2019
Replies: 20
Views: 585
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Posted On: 10-12-2019
Replies: 41
Views: 7,012
Project Blast!
Posted On: 10-10-2019
Replies: 14
Views: 1,071
More...
Old 07-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010 - 107 ci Switchblade Softail Custom
Not Ranked     
Rake difference for the Switchblade

OK I am looking at purchasing my front end and Red B Chopper suggests that with my Switchblade frames 40 degree raked neck I use stock length forks with 5* raked triples (21" front tire). I can get a 6 degree raked triple on stock length inverts for alot cheaper than the 5*. What would be the difference I would notice between each.

On the calculator it puts me at 4.94" w/ 5*, with the 6* it shows 4.17". Is a standard tube length 34"?? would my front height be effected with the 1* longer rake?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by hunter_michael; 07-29-2010 at 10:41 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Moderator Supreme Deluxe
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: moped, it's a moped
Not Ranked     
I wouldnt follow ANYTHING that Red ****** / *** tells you. It's usually WRONG...crazy I know but plenty of guys on this board can tell you MANY parts you buy directly from them are wrong!!! Not to mention it seems the frames are so crooked instead of welding them in a jig they probably just yell to their buddy, "hey come hold these tubes while I weld this frame"

A lot of guys here also don't like raked trees for multiple reasons. I know this doesnt help determine your front end setup, but I imagine you can change the length of your lower legs to get your numbers in line without crazy ass raked out trees.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Moderator Supreme Deluxe
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
WOW, I guess I missed something because when I typed out the name of the business the wesite blanked it out. Did they threaten to sue or something? FUCK THOSE MOTHER FUKERS EVERYTHING TO COME OUT OF THAT SHOP IS COBBLED TOGETHER SHIT>>>
Old 07-30-2010, 06:24 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2007 nemesis 250R
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscaladeSteve View Post
WOW, I guess I missed something because when I typed out the name of the business the wesite blanked it out. Did they threaten to sue or something? FUCK THOSE MOTHER FUKERS EVERYTHING TO COME OUT OF THAT SHOP IS COBBLED TOGETHER SHIT>>>
lol so true....my frame has more bends than a slip and slide....i honestly dont know how it handles as good as it does....they are retarded
Old 07-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanaimoBC View Post
lol so true....my frame has more bends than a slip and slide....i honestly dont know how it handles as good as it does....they are retarded
Wow, I did a search on here while researching the frame and couldnt find anything negative, so I pulled the trigger. Got the frame for less than $600 on Fleabay. Hate to hear stories like this..

Well I wasnt going to purchase anything directly from them because there prices are alot higher than anywhere else, thats why I was looking at 5 and 6* trees elsewhere. Found 6* for alot cheaper than the 5*.

I think I'll wait till I actually get the frame and measure with my rear tire on to ensure I get the right length and rake.

This is my attempt at building a bike and I am learning alot and I havent even recieved the frame yet.

Last edited by hunter_michael; 07-30-2010 at 07:14 AM..
Old 07-30-2010, 07:09 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
i dont thinl 1* will make much of a diff....if they are cheaper i would go with them...and not sure why your search didnt turn up the multi page thread of *** suck....like i said mine doesnt look straight but it seems to handle fine...and idk why it get *** when i type their name

Last edited by nanaimoBC; 07-30-2010 at 07:13 AM..
Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanaimoBC View Post
i dont thinl 1* will make much of a diff....if they are cheaper i would go with them...and not sure why your search didnt turn up the multi page thread of *** suck....like i said mine doesnt look straight but it seems to handle fine...and idk why it get *** when i type their name
Not sure why they block it either, my first thread did it to so I changed it to ***. Maybe thats why my initail searchfor them didnt come up with anything.. hummm...It blocks it for that reason??

Hey what frame do you have from them?
Old 07-30-2010, 07:31 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
i have a nemesis 250....the neck isnt square to the backbone or the downtube...welds look like stick welds....but it hasnt cracked yet so.....
Old 07-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
i have a nemesis theat i found the back bone not straight , the down tube not straight, the rear motor mount not square, the bottom rails not parallel, the and the neck not square !
Old 07-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
Rake calculators vs reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_michael View Post
ok i am looking at purchasing my front end and red b chopper suggests that with my switchblade frames 40 degree raked neck i use stock length forks with 5* raked triples (21" front tire). I can get a 6 degree raked triple on stock length inverts for alot cheaper than the 5*. What would be the difference i would notice between each.

On the calculator it puts me at 4.94" w/ 5*, with the 6* it shows 4.17". Is a standard tube length 34"?? Would my front height be effected with the 1* longer rake?

Thanks for any advice!
i'm not gonna comment on quality of the frame- but the neck is better be square vertically with the pefectly leveled frame + welds must be very strong.

As far as the rake and trail-if those numbers reflect reality of your future mockup[OR MAY NOT!]- you are good either way. Some might argue that 4.17 is a better trail- it will be a bit easier to turn at slow speed ( won't flop). Both will handle well at high speed- no wobble.

Remember a few things for mockup- your completely assembled bike has to be able to collapse the front end under it's own weight about 1''-1.25. That wiull tell you your front suspension is working under your 40+5( or 6) angle. If it doesn't - your springs spacer is too long. Tolle- sweden has a tech article to set the preload right for moderate and radical angles. I have 56 degree total rake( 49+7) and the leg sliders work perfectly- no seal leaks, burned/ scratched chrome by the bushings and wip movement of the fork.

when chose the right fork length-i would have still the bottom rails not parralel to the floor( leveled) when the bike is without the rider.
With you on it - the frame now must be close to level or slightly higher in the front , but not below the rear[now actually your neck rake might become 41 degree because of it- keep in mind when do calculations]. But you don't want to look like 'captain america'- absolutely unleveled frame) .

Fork tubes come in 2'' increments typically, you'd better be a bit longer than shorter( you can shorten the leg via manipulation of the slider assembly(in case of traditional fork-using a spacer behind the piston /rebound spring) or, if upper tree is a clamp style- slide the leg up- perhaps 0.5''. More might look silly. But it's better to look silly than handle SILLY.

113"s&s, Walz softail 2000/2012 prostreet
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 1998/2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech rigid 2014 bobber

Last edited by STEINBVG; 07-30-2010 at 03:48 PM..
Old 08-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
While Im waiting for my frame to show up I purchased some parts off Ebay; was going to go with a 18x8.5 spoke rear but got the wheel below for $250. Its a Pro One Storm Series. Going with an 60 or 80 spoke billet hub front wheel if I can find one for a decent price. Bought a 240 Metzler ME880 MARATHON XXL rear and matching front 21x90/90, $300 for both of those tires including shipping. Those should be here tomorrrow. So Ive got $550 into the wheels and tires but lacking a front rim...

Going to wait on buying my front end until I get the fame and rear tire mocked so i can get an accurate measurement,. Thanks to the advice of STEINBVG.

Last edited by hunter_michael; 08-04-2010 at 09:43 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Moderator Supreme Deluxe
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Damn fine deal on that wheel, that thing is sweet!
Old 10-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Update on the build... Going slow because my dang frame hasnt been delivered yet. Been since 25Jul10 and they say it could take 60 days (working) to recieve and it is taking every bit of it (50 now).

Below is the front and rear wheel with the skins on, I did change the rear from a 3/4" to a 1".

I purchased hand controls and switches and a set a mamoth bars 1.5" but my right control wouldnt fit becuase the master cylinder butted up against the 1.5" part. Too big a circumfrence for it. I'm going to sell the bars and get the 1.25" or the 1" or hopefully get the guy I purchased them from on ebay to exchange them for the smaller.

I'll post another pic if and when I get the frame..

Old 12-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Well now that I have my frame here are some pics of the progress into a roller. Waiting for parts for the rear to finish t up but this is a good start.

Last edited by hunter_michael; 12-03-2010 at 10:15 PM..
Old 12-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Here is an updated pic with Tank, bars and rear end on.