Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > All Chopper Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
I dont have a fancy name, 2014 140 CFL build
Last Post: 1badHD
Posted On: Today
Replies: 27
Views: 1,452
Finished Product
Last Post: Tortolabob2
Replies: 5
Views: 97
battery
Last Post: STEINBVG
Replies: 7
Views: 101
Road King wheel option...
Last Post: pushrod243
Replies: 6
Views: 205
Old and Fat
Last Post: DeathBySnuSnu
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 34
Views: 2,451
More...
Old 10-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 04 Venom Pro Street, 06 Softail Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Force
Not Ranked     
Having problems with battery or starter turning a 127 Ultima

I have an Ultima 127 built by SMW. I am having serious problems turning the motor over when I first try to start it. The motor turns over until it hits the compression stroke then slows to a stop even with a fully charged battery. I always use compression releases. I have also melted the positive terminal on 2 batteries just trying to start the bike. I have tried a stock HD battery that comes with the Softail Deluxe, the battery that came with the bike, and a brand new 270 CCA battery. None of them start the bike consistently even though they wereall kept on a battery tender.

Could this be a battery problem, starter problem, or bad or insufficient wiring to the starter?

"127 cubic inches of Frame Crackin, Tank Splittin fun"
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2009, 01:18 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 113" Softail
Not Ranked     
check your connections, bad grounds are a killer.. Also, I would try and get the CCA over 300...
Old 10-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Douchebaggery
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 05 Barefoot Choppa
Not Ranked     
What size starter are you using? Battery and wires have to be of sufficient size as well as good quality connections.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Shovel, Pan, Iron
Not Ranked     
Minimum 1.7 KW starter motor and Tod is right on the cold cranking Amps for the battery. Sometimes the jackshaft pinion gear gets stuck on the starter ring gear and you have to take off the primary plate cover and knock it loose.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Douchebaggery
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB View Post
Minimum 1.7 KW starter motor and Tod is right on the cold cranking Amps for the battery. Sometimes the jackshaft pinion gear gets stuck on the starter ring gear and you have to take off the primary plate cover and knock it loose.
Wrong info again. 1.4 will turn that motor with compression releases all day every day. The bigger the starter the bigger the amp draw.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
You beat me to it Barefoot, I know a few guys running 1.4's, they do have 300 amp batteries, those compression releases are a dream.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Douchebaggery
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thing is, motors got to be dialed in. An improperly tuned engine will kill a starting system real quick especially with these big inch motors. Compression release only works for one revolution and then they pop back out with the compression stroke. Mine starts (fires) in less then a revolution every time........less I forget to turn the gas on
Old 10-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
My buddy was having trouble starting his 127, we put a 1.75 ultima starter {mainly because it had the button on it, but a 1.4 would have been better except they dont come with the button}, then I installed a new thick ground wire, a new positive wire, and a new ultima agm battery {I think they are 330cca}, bike starts like a dream...

When I installed the open primary on my titan {112inch s&s no comp releases}, burnt out a starter because I forgot to grease the jackshaft cover.... are you sure its not something silly like that wrong????
Old 10-19-2009, 03:34 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2008 124" S&S Pro Street, 2010 Road King
Not Ranked     
+1

1.4 Kw starter with a 300 cca battery and CR's will spin that sucker up with no effort at all. Been using a Spyke 1.4 Kw "stealth" on my 124 (w/CR's) for a couple of years now and the set-up will even crank it up on cold assed German JANUARY mornings with a used 330 cca battery.

Install quality battery cables, ground DIRECT to one of the starter bolts. get a capable (over 300 cca) battery, check jackshaft alignment, charging system, and go......
C'mon Scary, theres a decending order of cool and WCC is at the top, we all know its true and the only thing that would make me cooler would be a bike with a vagina I could fuck start in front of 7-11 during a scratch off banaza sale. Cole 02/15/09
Old 10-19-2009, 03:41 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Choppa View Post
Wrong info again. 1.4 will turn that motor with compression releases all day every day. The bigger the starter the bigger the amp draw.
Yup...1.4 and a 300+ battery with a correctly timed and carb adjusted motor and your good to go...
Old 10-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor  
Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005 BBC Venom Chopper, S&S 96
Not Ranked     
good advice there.
minimum of 4 gauge cables from battery positive to starter positive lug and from battery negative to a mounting bolt on the starter.

Also, with a new motor it can help to also use some jumpers from a car or truck battery (vehicle not running) during the initial starts needed to dial in the timing and carb. The bike battery must be fully charged. Much more drag with a new motor that pulls more current from the battery. Lessens as the motor breaks in.

The bigger the starter, the bigger the battery has to be. Remember, starters don't create energy, they consume it. The bigger the starter the more they consume/demand.

The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness.

"Gentlemen, we must all hang together or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

Last edited by CENJIM; 10-19-2009 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: accuracy
Old 10-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005 CFL 127" elbruto w/ D carb, 6 speed
Not Ranked     
Got a 250 cca odyssy gel and a 1.75 and it starts my 127" easy. Ground to the frame, and the starter bolt. I had a 275 cca HD battery that was alittle too big for the tray and it spun that motor like crazy!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:23 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Shovel, Pan, Iron
Not Ranked     
We removed a 1.4 that was the original starter because it was not working properly on our 127 build. Installed the 1.7 and worked effortlessly! If you speak to the techs at Rivera Primo, they recommend the 1.7 for large displacement motors (127") . Rivera Primo has been racing drag bikes for decades! The info I got from the pros is that the 1.4 will turn the motor, but will not have the longevity of the 1.7 kw. Actually a 1.6 or 1.7 is recomended for use with a 300 CCA Battery, not a 1.4!!! The 1.6 and 1.7 kw starters are matched with the 300 CCA batteries for a reason, but I'm not an expert on starters and batteries (Magnetos YES). If anyone cares to contact River Primo for more specific information from thier Tech guys, they are a wealth of experience and information!

The Monster Torque Starters made in the USA and Canada are one of the top notch starters available!

BAREFOOTCHOPPA, be careful when you accuse people of being wrong, it can sting!!! If you want to get me on something, you can bash me for saying 1.7 originally instead of 1.6, which I intended to do, just typed an error. But why kick a guy for an honest typo error!!???

Last edited by DB; 10-20-2009 at 03:34 AM..
Old 10-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Douchebaggery
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB View Post
We removed a 1.4 that was the original starter because it was not working properly on our 127 build. Installed the 1.7 and worked effortlessly! If you speak to the techs at Rivera Primo, they recommend the 1.7 for large displacement motors (127") . Rivera Primo has been racing drag bikes for decades! The info I got from the pros is that the 1.4 will turn the motor, but will not have the longevity of the 1.7 kw. Actually a 1.6 or 1.7 is recomended for use with a 300 CCA Battery, not a 1.4!!! The 1.6 and 1.7 kw starters are matched with the 300 CCA batteries for a reason, but I'm not an expert on starters and batteries (Magnetos YES). If anyone cares to contact River Primo for more specific information from thier Tech guys, they are a wealth of experience and information!

The Monster Torque Starters made in the USA and Canada are one of the top notch starters available!

BAREFOOTCHOPPA, be careful when you accuse people of being wrong, it can sting!!! If you want to get me on something, you can bash me for saying 1.7 originally instead of 1.6, which I intended to do, just typed an error. But why kick a guy for an honest typo error!!???
Okay, I appologise for that, I had a problem with the "minimal" statement but I stick by the 1.4 being fine if all else is up to par.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor  
Bike Year, Make, Engine: Some kind of big ass V2, Alcohaulin' Ass
Send a message via ICQ to Mr Scary
Not Ranked     
A 1.4 will spin a 10.2:1 compression engine just fine!!!

^ ^ ^Click The Pic^ ^ ^
<--124...127-->