Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > All Chopper Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Top mount hardware
Last Post: muddychops
Posted On: Today
Replies: 11
Views: 461
Show us your bike!!
Last Post: Spade115
Posted On: 12-05-2022
Replies: 1,807
Views: 858,557
Got Tanks
Last Post: Spade115
Posted On: 12-05-2022
Replies: 3
Views: 226
help needed
Last Post: johnevo
Posted On: 12-03-2022
Replies: 3
Views: 399
Re-building BBC Screamin Demon
Last Post: waxlrose
Posted On: 11-21-2022
Replies: 88
Views: 12,748
More...
Old 09-14-2007, 02:22 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Big Bear Merc S&S 96
Not Ranked     
evo motor,shovel frame

Has anyone ever put an evo motor into a shovel frame? will it fit? I have a 1974 flh that needs an engine and I have a good line an evo motor, was wondering what I had to do to squeeze it in.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2007, 04:47 AM
VOTE FOR COWBELL!
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Wrenchin & riding American V-Twins
Not Ranked     
Anything can be done. In your case the EVO is taller than the Shovel so the frame's rearward downtube and upper backbone areas will need to be modified. TK.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:26 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Hand Made
Not Ranked     
Also believe there's an issue with the seat post. I've seen threads on this before, it's a lot of work and may be easier just getting or building a new frame. Unless you just want to do it to prove something. John
Old 09-14-2007, 06:14 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1960 FL bobber, 1986 FXWG (Evo), 1991 XL
Not Ranked     
A while back I fixed up a bike where it had already been done - it's not that tricky (cheaper than a new frame!), but there's a mistake that can be made which is what I had to rectify for the guy whose bike it was:

To accommodate the extra height, the common practice is to cut the back-bone where it meets the seat-post and then jack it up about 3/4" and re-weld to the seat post. Doing it with a brace (or a dummy motor) across the motor mounts will prevent any distortion there, so the downtubes deflect slightly, and you loose a tiny bit of rake, but it's not enough to worry about. What you DO need to worry about is that doing this puts tension into the short brace that runs from the top motor mount to the brace across the down tubes near the top. It may seem like it's OK, but this little tube is left in permanent tension and eventually it will crack. Although it's only a little tube, it's surprising how much difference this makes to the handling of the bike because of the slightly weakened location of the headstock.
What we did on the bike I had brought to me was to make a sleeve to fit over the cracked brace tube, cut it in two along its length to get it in place and then weld it all up (with TIG, to minimise heat input and get around all the awkward corners). The tension was relieved when the tube cracked, and provided it's designed sensibly, the sleeve should be at least as strong as the original tube, if not more, so it's a permanant fix.
Personally, i haven't done one of these "properly", only fixed someone elseís mistake (!) as above, but my approach would be to either cut the tube mid-way and sleeve it as above, or else cut it where it meets the backbone and weld back up after jacking.

OR: You could get one of those nice 79 inch Evo motors that S&S offer especially to fit into shovel frames (I think they use slightly shorter jugs and rods to get the motor a bit lower)!!!

Last edited by MONTY; 09-14-2007 at 06:19 AM..
Old 09-14-2007, 06:17 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
P.S. If you go ahead with the approach i just described, don't forget you need to jack the tube up sufficiantly until it sits at the new height WITH THE JACK REMOVED, i.e. you've bent it permanantly to its new position - if you weld it with the jack still in place then there will be some unresolved "spring" in the frame, making it want to go back towards it's originaly position, which would not be a good plan.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:25 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: rigid shovelhead
Not Ranked     
Well........this is finally something I know about.... I recently repowered a early paughco rigid shovelhead frame with a HD crate motor. The frame was for a 74" shovel, which I ran a later 80" shovel in. I sold the motor to CC member JSDIAMOND & started a little measuring. I did have a evo mock up engine so the set up of the evo in the frame was relitively easy (for me).

What I personally found out was: A. You will need to cut aprox. 7" of seat post out by 1/2 about an inch from the top. This cut is for the rear exhaust pipe. B. You will need to shim the front motor mounts .125 so as to NOT have to cut the top tube. From what I can tell with all the needed items installed you can't notice it either. Also this will lower the rear cyclinder so as not to have to cut the top tube.
What I did have to do was remove one rockerbox allen & install it AFTER the engine was installed. I had to drill a install hole up on the top front frame plate - like early softail frames.

You will also need to make your own exhaust as the front down tubes don't really give you much room for a off the shelf exhaust (THAT i CAN SEE).
I've attached a pic of the "finished" product.

Oh......I also kept the kicker ONLY set up.

All in all it was a easy install ......for me!! If you have to farm out any of the frame mods it could get expensive. I WOULD do this again without hesitation.

Not to ballbust John but I was not trying to prove anything.... I wanted an up to date evo & nothing else with the bike was wrong so.....i was a logical transplant!!

Bike is STILL FOR SALE @ $10,500.00

Paco

Last edited by PACO; 09-14-2007 at 06:34 AM..
Old 09-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Hey Paco, that's a sweet looking bike, if I had $10K spare I’d be on my way to Lawrenceville!!

I guess this is as good a way of doing it as the one I described, though I'd never come across it before (whereas I’ve seen the "cut & jack" approach a few times, though as i say I never did it myself, only fixed one later).

The bike i worked on was OK for clearance around the front exhaust, and the rear too, though the latter may be 'cos the motor hadn't been tilted backwards. The Evo replacement motor was S&S, 96 inch I'm told though i had no reason to check if that was true. The frame was a late Shovel, '81 I think, definitely 80 cube (though actually i think once they'd raised the seat rails for the E-glide in '65, I don't think they changed that frame again until '85 for that one year of 4-speed Evo FX models).

Assuming the frame didn’t change from ’74 to ‘81, I’d guess tkettt32 has the choice which approach best suits the skills and facilities he has available, as both look do-able for his bike…
Old 09-14-2007, 07:18 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: rigid shovelhead
Not Ranked     
Thanks Monty... I think I priced it right.....to actually sell....

I'm sure if I had a engine bigger than 80" I would have had to do a bit more construction work.....but with as many miles & X-country trips I've done (on a HD bike) I've learned a VALUABLE lesson......I may not be the fastest getting to the other coast but I will get there!! I'll probably break less than the big cube guys....

Don't get me wrong...I'd love to have a 124 or bigger moster between the frame rails but I also like to recoop as much invested money as possible when I sell them....That's just me...

I've seen the jack & lift process also before.......my transplant just worked out a bit easier.
Same meat.....different way to cook it...

Another look:

and it's still 4 sale @ $10,500.00 (it's also titled in GA as a 1975 Harley Davidson)

PACO
Old 09-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Big Bear Merc S&S 96
Not Ranked     
Thanks for all the info! sounds like I have a few options. The reason I want to use the '74 frame is I'm building a bobber and I don't want to deal with the insp. process. thanks guys
Old 09-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 04 BigDog, 69 Shovel, 78 Superglide
Not Ranked     
I just did it to one of my projects. Cut the seat post just above the coil mounts, raised is about 1 inch, kicked it back about 1/2 inch and welded in place. I also had to cut the lower fatbob tank mounts. I was happily surprised the oil bag still fit.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:06 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACO View Post
Thanks Monty... I think I priced it right.....to actually sell....

I'm sure if I had a engine bigger than 80" I would have had to do a bit more construction work.....but with as many miles & X-country trips I've done (on a HD bike) I've learned a VALUABLE lesson......I may not be the fastest getting to the other coast but I will get there!! I'll probably break less than the big cube guys....

Don't get me wrong...I'd love to have a 124 or bigger moster between the frame rails but I also like to recoop as much invested money as possible when I sell them....That's just me...

I've seen the jack & lift process also before.......my transplant just worked out a bit easier.
Same meat.....different way to cook it...

Another look:

and it's still 4 sale @ $10,500.00 (it's also titled in GA as a 1975 Harley Davidson)

PACO
Hey man so I have a rigid 81 shovel head frame Iím working on throwing and 80 evo motor in it but I was wonder what tenant you put in your Shovelhead frame
Sponsored Links