Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > All Chopper Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Tallest engine in the frame?
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 58
Views: 9,074
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Replies: 26
Views: 5,990
99 brake caliper on a 2000 fork?
Last Post: STEINBVG
Replies: 1
Views: 58
Battery in cfl battery box
Last Post: masterjedifocus
Posted On: 09-11-2019
Replies: 2
Views: 204
Motorcycle & Hot Rod Swap Meet - Baltimore
Last Post: kundratickustom
Posted On: 09-07-2019
Replies: 22
Views: 6,569
More...
Old 01-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1986 Honda VT700c
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Bike Insurance Reloaded

I wanted to start a thread that would be a genuine help for those looking for competitive insurance for their bikes. There are many threads on the subject but they seem to go off on tangents and sometimes information is given in a context that doesnt really help as much as it could.

Lets use this thread to consolidate. Here is the information that is most relevant:

1) What state and town is the bike registered and garaged in?

2) Which companies will offer coverage at competitive rates?

3) Other factors- ie other lines of business with same carrier, driving record, type of bike etc

4) Ability of the agent to properly represent the bike to underwriting

If you are looking for insurance recommendations from other members then please post this information in that order and hopefully people will respond with same info. This will be the most helpful.

I'll try to check back in on it periodically to try and fill in any gaps. I write bike insurance in PA and NJ. Foremost is the company to go to on most customs in these states, but I also represent 3 others.

Regards,
Andrew

Note: try to find an agent who rides, instead of call the company direct. Many of these are from forum members experiences as posted on this forum- but individual underwriting requirements may limit coverage.

LIST BY STATE (updated 8/16/2007)

Arkansas..............Foremost
Arizona................Liberty Mutual, Farm Bureau
Colorado..............Farm Bureau, Foremost
Florida.................Foremost, State Farm
Illinois..................Foremost ( lhoffman@anchor-ins.com )
Iowa...................Farm Bureau, American Family
Georgia...............State Farm
Indiana................Foremost, American Family, Victoria
Kansas................Foremost
Missouri...............State Farm, American Family
Montana..............????
N Carolina...........Foremost
New Jersey.........Custom Bike Insurance.com
New York............State Farm
Ohio....................Foremost ( kcladwell@famersagent.com ), Cincinatti Ins Co
Oregon................American Family
Pennsylvania......Custom Bike Insurance.com
Washington........GMAC
Wisconsin...........Foremost, State Farm
Viriginia...............Farm Bureau

http://www.custombikeinsurance.com

Motorcycle Insurance Blog

Have questions or want some free insurance quotes for your chopper in PA or NJ ?? email me at andy@rafraser.com

Last edited by FastBiker; 08-16-2007 at 11:48 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 48 Panhead, 80 HD FXE, 07 CFL & 99 FLSTF
Not Ranked     
Good idea.

I write insurance in Illinois and agree on Foremost, although I represent over 5 companies.

http://www.blackmagiccustoms.com
http://www.wickedwheelsweekend.com
Old 01-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005 CCI El Dorado, RevTech 100
Not Ranked     
Any writers on the board here write in Colorado?
Old 01-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopper
Not Ranked     
i live in Seattle, WA and went through most all of the companies and found the best rate for a bike $30,000 or less to be with GMAC ($700 per year with a clean record). i had progressive and they were raping me for $2200 a year.

if you need insurance in washington try WWW.ridewest.com/insurance.htm

Danielle, the person i dealt with checked several companies including foremost and GMAC. they are saving me a tone of money.

Last edited by NO LOVE; 01-18-2006 at 05:19 PM..
Old 01-18-2006, 08:50 PM
ContributorWiskeyDrinker
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: '03 Rolling Thunder, 124 S&S, Baker RSD
Not Ranked     
Hey Wolfeie,

I have a home-built bike insured here in Colorado through Farm Bureau. They gave me the best rate.....BY FAR!!! I was with Foremost for like 5 years on my old bike and they are good. BUT they quoted me like 3 times what I ended up getting through the Farm Bureau (FB). FB does require an appraisal, but at $150 the appraisal paid for itself in just a month or two. You may want to give them a call.......
Old 01-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 05 custom 100ci
Not Ranked     
I've had a policy with state farm for one thing or another for the past ten years and they have quoted me the cheapest insurance I've heard of for a custom. However a friend of mine checked on insurance for a gsxr750 and it was like $5000 a year. For a bike that costs 7 - 8 grand?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by Peanut
I've had a policy with state farm for one thing or another for the past ten years and they have quoted me the cheapest insurance I've heard of for a custom. However a friend of mine checked on insurance for a gsxr750 and it was like $5000 a year. For a bike that costs 7 - 8 grand?
Identifying your state of residence would go a long way to helping out.

Remember driving record and credit score are factors as well. Most people wont admit when they have blemishes on their driving record unless confronted with it in black and white. Honesty is the best policy and will help others out looking for info.

edit: I see in your profile you're in GA, if you put that in the post its probably easier for others. Maybe once this thread gets some meat to it I'll edit my first post with states and companies for easy reference

Have questions or want some free insurance quotes for your chopper in PA or NJ ?? email me at andy@rafraser.com

Last edited by FastBiker; 01-19-2006 at 12:07 PM..
Old 01-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: custom
Not Ranked     
I built a custom and State Farm said they would not touch it. They more or less told me no State Farm agent in America would. I have all my insurance with them. I have foremost and its about $1000 a year. I live in Indiana. Where can you get a custom appraised at.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:30 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by 11B20
I built a custom and State Farm said they would not touch it. They more or less told me no State Farm agent in America would. I have all my insurance with them. I have foremost and its about $1000 a year. I live in Indiana. Where can you get a custom appraised at.
Lets make a distinction between an agent and the company. Bikers need to find an agent who is familiar with motorcycle underwriting (underwriting is analyzing the risk and setting the rates).

Every market is different, you should call around. Your agent may be a great person but not know bupkis about bikes, and they certainly shouldnt be telling you what the company does in the rest of the country unless they are familiar with underwriting in every state.

The purpose of this thread (I hope) is to give people direction on who to contact for insurance in their state.

As for appraisals, usually receipts are sufficient or a statement from a reputable bike shop. Document with photos as well.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2003 ole skool
Not Ranked     
I live in Montana and have a clean record and need to find ins. for my old school bike.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005, Custom 300 Softail, 125 PR
Not Ranked     
I live in West Virginia. Just finished a 300 softtail chopper and titled as 2005 "assembled vehicle" (ASM under make on the title). The VIN is based on the frame VIN from Carolina Customs. State Farm looked at the title and my component list and said no problem. $630 per year with a $1000 deductible. They made me give them several pictures to evidence value in the event something happens to it. As I posted on another thread, my State Farm Agent told me that they underwrite cycles based solely on cc's. Anyithing over 1500cc's are all in same rating class, regardless of cost/value. I also have other vehicles, bikes and my home insurance which provide a discounted premium.

If I had State Farm, I would insist that your agent contact the Company's underwriting department to get clarifiaction. My agent told me at first that he did not think that they would touch it. After he contacted the home office underwriters, he called back and said OK they would insure it.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:39 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: custom
Not Ranked     
Well maybe it's just Indiana. I have spoken to several agents and I get the same response. Other insurance companies will do it but I have to switch all my other insurance over to them. I would but I get a much better deal from State Farm. I did talk to an agent in Missouri from State Farm and he said they would insure it down there. Guess I'll keep looking.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005, Custom 300 Softail, 125 PR
Not Ranked     
I'm not doubting your word, or what your agent told you - I'm just surprised that it would be a state-by-state issue. Oh well, good luck!
Old 01-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 48 Panhead, 80 HD FXE, 07 CFL & 99 FLSTF
Not Ranked     
Not only is it a state by state issue but also an agent issue as well. One agent might get an OK from a certain underwriter in a state and another may not. That's just the way it works.

http://www.blackmagiccustoms.com
http://www.wickedwheelsweekend.com
Old 01-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 HC2 110", 2006 Ducati Multistrada S
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by dwembacpa
I live in West Virginia. Just finished a 300 softtail chopper and titled as 2005 "assembled vehicle" (ASM under make on the title). The VIN is based on the frame VIN from Carolina Customs. State Farm looked at the title and my component list and said no problem. $630 per year with a $1000 deductible. They made me give them several pictures to evidence value in the event something happens to it. As I posted on another thread, my State Farm Agent told me that they underwrite cycles based solely on cc's. Anyithing over 1500cc's are all in same rating class, regardless of cost/value. I also have other vehicles, bikes and my home insurance which provide a discounted premium.

If I had State Farm, I would insist that your agent contact the Company's underwriting department to get clarifiaction. My agent told me at first that he did not think that they would touch it. After he contacted the home office underwriters, he called back and said OK they would insure it.
I had just the opposite happen...

I live in VA and have multiple policies with State Farm and haven't made a claim in 20 years with the exception of a cracked windshield.

At first my agent said no problem. $820 a year full coverage. A month later, he said the underwriters turned the bike down because it was a special construction. Surprisingly, he turned me onto Farm Bureau.

I'm glad he did - I have full coverage (all year) with no deductable. $500 a year. This is based on a Married, 36 y.o. male, no tickets or points on a value of $23,000.