Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > All Chopper Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Looking for advice from the Old Pros...
Last Post: Shovel52
Posted On: Today
Replies: 5
Views: 68
El Diablo prices
Last Post: JJ500
Posted On: Today
Replies: 7
Views: 140
Power motorsports
Last Post: Captain America
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 2
Views: 46
Chain length
Last Post: Spartacus
Posted On: 07-30-2020
Replies: 13
Views: 295
2004 Bourget Retro
Last Post: DRZ
Posted On: 07-30-2020
Replies: 0
Views: 41
More...
Old 09-26-2005, 08:40 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: BBC Venom chopper S&S 96ci
Not Ranked     
... Get your "preban" chopper while you can

... Well, this is about fucked

http://www.bigbearchoppers.com/bbc_d...nce/legit.html

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/roadbike.htm

.... Looks like drag pipes are a thing of the past. Read that language about "one non-compliant bike in five years" shit too - WTF?

... Makes me love my pipes just a little more today

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2005, 08:54 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1953 H-D Panhead/2010 FXDWG Vivid Black-
Not Ranked     
Angry

Fucking EPA.....the commies found a new nesting ground!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg epa.jpg (1.8 KB, 616 views)

http://www.makochemedia.com/mp3s/tjhour_window.html
Old 09-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 06 HD NIGHTROD wishin fr a softail again
Not Ranked     
Re: ... Get your "preban" chopper while you can

Quote:
Originally posted by Winston_Wolf
... Well, this is about fucked

.... Looks like drag pipes are a thing of the past. Read that language about "one non-compliant bike in five years" shit too - WTF?

... Makes me love my pipes just a little more today

I'm not a builder but I don't get it. I just put drag pipes on my HD (yea I no, FUCK hd). Why not make the bike compliant. Get it inspected, registered and THAN put the GOOD parts on. The EPA does suck. I'ts all pretense to inslave the masses.

ZARATHOS MADE ME DO IT. It's the TORQUE baby!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2005, 09:03 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Chopper
Not Ranked     
How many of you guys have put projects on hold?

I had been collecting parts for another custom.

Now, Im searching the papers and internet for a vintage bike instead.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:14 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Modified Ultima Wolf Daddy, 93" Panhead
Send a message via AIM to HotRodKush
Not Ranked     
Car guys have been going this shit for years. Just go to the inspection with the shit you need to pass, and then change it out when you get home.

Shit, I've known guys to swap motors before gettin the sniff test, and go racin with the 454 big block the next night.

There's always ways to beat the system - just takes some noggin.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 96 XLH 79 KZ650 03 Shadow Sabre 00 FXD
Not Ranked     
Well said, HRK, and right on the money. There's always a way around these kinds of laws and regs.

Now, I know this is not gonna get a great reception here...best I can hope for is somebody scratching his head, saying, "Huh...?"

Anything manufactured before 2006 is exempt. You could try actually choppin' or customizing bikes now on the road or in somebody's shed. It's what some of us have been doing for years.

Think about it. There's a lot of HD yuppies out there, and a shitload of metric cruisers, too. Or you could just keep whatever you've got now, and every now and then, change it into something entirely different.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I'm not saying make a non-compliant bike compliant. I'm saying buy your compliant bikes and then customize them however you want to. Put pipes on, a new intake, whatever. Fuck, pull the motor out and stick anything ou want in there.

When the sniffer comes around again, put it back to the way it was for a day, pass the test, and set it back up the way you want it.

Like I said, car guys have been doin this shit since the 70's - they're not going to monitor the mods you do to the bike, only that it will pass the sniffer when it has to.

Hang out with some hot rod guys and they'll tell you how they've beat the system runnin big blocks on the street in cars that are registered and insured as 6 cylinders - I did it with a '95 Camaro and not only did it never fail the sniffer (motor swap during that week every year), my insurance was for a V6 car! Just gotta know how to work around the system.

Last edited by HotRodKush; 09-26-2005 at 11:34 PM..
Old 09-27-2005, 12:07 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 96 XLH 79 KZ650 03 Shadow Sabre 00 FXD
Not Ranked     
Keep in mind if you buy something like one of those Big Dog or AIH "choppers" (ugh) that these are, in spite of their presumptuous names, still just production bikes, and will be bound by the regs for production bikes. And you can be sure all the manufacturers, from HD all the way down to these "chopper" manufacturers, will find a way to "build" the look, the sound, and the feel into the bike that you want. After all, it's how they make a living.

Once this is done, those same new stock products will soon be adapted to every motorcycle on the road today.

That, combined with the fact that, as I said earlier, there's always a way around laws and regs, comforts me enough that this doesn't keep me up nights, wondering.

Last edited by DanVVArider; 09-27-2005 at 12:10 AM..
Old 09-27-2005, 12:13 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Mutation in progress!!
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by HotRodKush
I'm not saying make a non-compliant bike compliant. I'm saying buy your compliant bikes and then customize them however you want to. Put pipes on, a new intake, whatever. Fuck, pull the motor out and stick anything ou want in there.

When the sniffer comes around again, put it back to the way it was for a day, pass the test, and set it back up the way you want it.

Like I said, car guys have been doin this shit since the 70's - they're not going to monitor the mods you do to the bike, only that it will pass the sniffer when it has to.

Hang out with some hot rod guys and they'll tell you how they've beat the system runnin big blocks on the street in cars that are registered and insured as 6 cylinders - I did it with a '95 Camaro and not only did it never fail the sniffer (motor swap during that week every year), my insurance was for a V6 car! Just gotta know how to work around the system.
In NC they have the emissions test for your sticker (some counties) and when I had my 1980 Jeep CJ-5 I gave the guy like $60 and he pulled another car up to the back and used it and voila, I was cool!! I am sure someone will find a way around this also. Not really sure though but I am sure someone will.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:50 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
yeah, I used to do that too lol - in NY state, local shops hold the emmissions testing equipment, so if you make some friends they'll just pull up another car, scan YOUR vin# and sniff the other car.

Sometimes I think they make laws just for the sake of making laws - theres always a way around it (especially emmissions laws)
Old 09-27-2005, 05:26 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 05 BD chop 117" s&s
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by DanVVArider
Keep in mind if you buy something like one of those Big Dog or AIH "choppers" (ugh) that these are, in spite of their presumptuous names, still just production bikes, and will be bound by the regs for production bikes. And you can be sure all the manufacturers, from HD all the way down to these "chopper" manufacturers, will find a way to "build" the look, the sound, and the feel into the bike that you want. After all, it's how they make a living.

Once this is done, those same new stock products will soon be adapted to every motorcycle on the road today.

That, combined with the fact that, as I said earlier, there's always a way around laws and regs, comforts me enough that this doesn't keep me up nights, wondering.
I'm loving my poser bike more and more

Quote:
Keep in mind if you buy something like one of those Big Dog or AIH "choppers" (ugh) that these are
common Dan it didnt hurt that bad to say it now did it? lol

Quote:
And you can be sure all the manufacturers, from HD all the way down to these "chopper" manufacturers, will find a way to "build" the look, the sound, and the feel into the bike that you want. After all, it's how they make a living.
now if you and el'c would have admited that from the begining we wouldnt have had all the fighting

POSE TILL YA DROP .......BITCH
Old 09-27-2005, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor  
Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005 BBC Venom Chopper, S&S 96
Not Ranked     
Don't forget...the regs apply to special construction bikes. Manufactured bikes, be they kits or assembled, produced by EPA approved manufacturers are exempt.
If you are piecing together your own chop, then it's one per lifetime per person. There are loopholes, though. Check out some of the other threads on this topic. There are small builders and some manufacturers on this site who have given examples of how this affects or doesn't affect the market.
All in all, though, the EPA regs suck. Sign on to the petition thread here and read the highlights.
epa regs are offensive

The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness.

"Gentlemen, we must all hang together or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

Old 09-27-2005, 07:24 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2003 BDM 'Chopper'
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick Wild
now if you and el'c would have admited that from the begining we wouldnt have had all the fighting
Now it looks like Nick and Dan are swapping spit.

Ouch! (dodging blows)
Old 09-27-2005, 07:47 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 01 Fatboy,65 Matchless, 83 V-65, +more
Send a message via AIM to rastoy
Not Ranked     
Have you independent's out there taken the regs. to court yet? If not, why not? If someone (the gov't) was messing with my livelyhood I know I'd be pushing for some sort of class action to get it back.
As for not being able to sell private property for 5 years, I doubt that will stand in court.
You can bitch about the regs. all day long and they will stay in place until you're willing to take it on and challenge it.
Start making noise in the press, set up a protest rally in DC, find some smart, young, lawyer looking to make a name for him/herself, call the ACLU. Do some stuff other than talking about it.

Nevermind, you're hopeless.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 01 Fatboy,65 Matchless, 83 V-65, +more
Send a message via AIM to rastoy
Not Ranked     
Damn, I was just trying to make a suggestion or two to help get something going which might help the small independents. I was not slamming anyone for not doing things.

None of my suggestions required a legal fund. You independents need to get together and make noise in the press so that non-bikers are aware of the problem. A demonstration in DC (like the ride to the wall) gets press coverage. Your congressmen and senators will only act if they feel pressure to act (a lot of votes, not just a handful of bikers) and to do that you need the non-bikers also. Make enought noise and get press and the pro-bono legal people will come.

So, I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else by my suggestions which were generated by concern. I'll withhold them in the future when it comes to the survival of independents.

Nevermind, you're hopeless.