Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > All Chopper Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Hard Core II builders
Last Post: Fatback
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 10,920
Views: 845,915
"Not the Normal" builds, from WCC
Last Post: Spade115
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 19,297
Views: 5,245,920
Help identifying 70's - 80's springer
Last Post: tnbkrtrash
Posted On: 10-21-2018
Replies: 1
Views: 46
Wtb: Primo open belt drive
Last Post: rkduq20
Posted On: 10-19-2018
Replies: 4
Views: 365
13 Ignition Dropping Out
Last Post: BostonShovel
Posted On: 10-17-2018
Replies: 8
Views: 318
More...
Old 11-08-2003, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I thought we were all in it for the chicks!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 73 norton 850 commando
Not Ranked     
yeah, kinda. it's a bonus like the other guy said.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:47 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
ummmm Im not knocking Billy Lane I think the bikes he's built are sweet. I am however seriously p#$%ing my pants at the thought that he has an associates of applied sciences in engineering technology as well as a Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering. I watched an episode of the chopper build off between he and the owner of Bourgets. Seems to me if he had an engineering degree you woudlnt have watched him an hour into the ride pull over because his a$$ was on fire. For those of you who didnt catch the episode, Billy ran the exhaust up through the rear fender incorporating it into the fender actually. Billy failed to realize the amount of heat the engine produces and the transfer of the heat through the exhaust. The custom leather seat Was SMOKIN!! Kick ass idea though. I believe the HEAT SHEILD THAT GOT RIGGED UP FOR A 700 MILE RIDE WAS ABOUT A ROLL OF ALUMINUM FOIL SANDWICHED . I thought that part of the core of engineering was heat transfer. I could be wrong but then again I doubt it.

Last edited by Omega; 11-14-2003 at 09:50 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2003, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2002 RKC, 1980 xs650 bobber
Not Ranked     
Yeah I saw that episode. He couldn't get the bike started on time either and then when he faced off against Indian Larry he had to have the bike trucked to New York because he couldn't get it started either. Not the best advertising. At least they look cool.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:16 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
yup they sure do
Old 11-15-2003, 12:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
must be the hair!
Old 11-15-2003, 10:48 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
yeah, all the best fabricators seem to suck at Mechanics. Paul Teutel Sr and Jr don't know shit about Wiring or Engines. And like you pointe out. billy Lane used the wrong size Carburators for his kick start bike. he probably wasn't using the right Coils for a kickstart either.

I'm really suprised he has an engineering degree because he comes off as a burn out. but then again. I've met lots of people like that here in the Space coast where i Live.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:38 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
As a mechanical engineering student I can tell you that the last thing they teach you is how to build a motorcycle. Instead, you learn moments of inertia in Calculus III, capacitors in Physics II, and equilibrium constant reactions in Chemistry II. I guess in another year or so I'll have learned how to put all of this together to become a "mechanical engineer", but right now it all seems rather pointless. Unless, being a mechanical engineer involves finding spring constants in staged experiments with the answer in the back of the book.

Anyway, Billy Lane builds great bikes. And I'd have him build me a bike in a heartbeat over Dave Perewitz. During the Biker Build Off II he was the biggest jackass I've ever seen, and he also built a really ugly bike that was way out of proportion with his large body. All you old Periwitz fans can hate me now, but give me a steaming seat from Billy Lane any day over some fat jackass who thinks he's God because he can paint a special red.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to Denis Burgess
Not Ranked     
Can you believe he is trying to sell that bike (perowitz) for $100k??? saying buy a piece of "history"
Old 11-18-2003, 06:42 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
god, that's what pisses me off the most about chopper builders now. OCC, and WEst Coast Choppers, and Even Billy Lane want a 100,000 for a bike.

WHY? who the hell was it that decided that choppers have to have a billet aluminum CNC machined wheel that costs a shit load because of the laser CNC machines cost 300,000 plus maintenance so the cost is passed on.

spokes look cooler on a chopper to me anyway

A chopper used to be cheaper than a fucking stock bike, now they cost 100 times more?

they don't have to be if you know how to build, it's just these guys started cashing in and milking on the come back of choppers. but i guess everthing in America is now marketed, not just choppers. Look at Brittany Spears, she's Crap and makes millions of dollars for her and her Producers. Anything can be made to look like it's worth more than it should be.

These builders need to get off their High Horse before they turn people OFF to choppers and loose money in the long run.
for example, I emailed Eric at Voodoo choppers to see if he still had the templates for the Montezuma's Revenge chopper Gas tank featured in the Horse magazine 2 months ago.

He said, sure, for 1200.00 dollars i can build it for you. 1200.00 freaking dollars for a very small, drag style gas tank. why? i have no idea. I guess he's trying to cash in like the rest.

I talked to a machine shop owner in Japan who makes his own gas tanks and he said that they don't even use an English wheel in Japan. They all do it by hand with special hammers and dollies.

and they come out just as flat. so there is not much overhead, just Labor. But even with alot of Labor the cost should be much lower than 1200.00 dollars.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: CUSTOM,107S&S
Not Ranked     
amen my brother!!
Old 11-18-2003, 07:11 PM
Member/Admin
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 96 Yamaha Virago 750
Not Ranked     
Odessa, I agree with you! What in the hell makes these bikes so exspensive? I think even some of Jesse's bikes tip the scales at $150,000.00, but you know what, there's people out there that wouldn't think twice at dropping that kind of coin on a bike! But to me, it's more then just these $100,000.00 bikes. What makes a V-twin motor $6,000.00 and what makes a 3-4" open primary drive $3,000.00? You can build a really nice V8 motor for the price of a V-twin! It goes on and on with the prices of these parts! You know the bike industry is cashing in right now.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:41 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
exactly guys, I'm glad it was not just me that thought it's getting out of hand. I'm not a cheap tight ass, If something is worth it, I'll buy it with no haggling, but I was just venting my fustration because i want a custom gas tank but can't believe the prices. My best offer was Independent Gas Tank company. They priced it around 800.00. but to me, that's still too much. the materials is like maybe 120. so it's 680.00 dollars worth of labor? so someone is working non stop for an entire week? well, actually that sound about right maybe.
what do you guys think?
Old 11-18-2003, 07:46 PM
Member/Admin
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 96 Yamaha Virago 750
Not Ranked     
$800.00 for a custom tank doesn't sound all that harsh. It's more then just labor, it's a craft, a skill that most people don't have, that's what your paying for.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to ToyKraz
Not Ranked     
Look at Fat Katz new tank for the new Combs Custom Cycle drop neck frame. I spent $3400.00 for that. I agree that it is not worth it, but what are you to do?