Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > All Chopper Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
2004 883 Chopper?!?
Last Post: BruceClarke
Posted On: 11-22-2020
Replies: 0
Views: 47
Dom Frame Specs
Last Post: Northside W&M
Posted On: 11-21-2020
Replies: 0
Views: 62
Show us your bike!!
Last Post: golfish
Posted On: 11-20-2020
Replies: 1,800
Views: 790,021
Ultima 140
Last Post: golfish
Posted On: 11-20-2020
Replies: 1
Views: 73
7 New project and new member
Last Post: Neverlost
Posted On: 11-18-2020
Replies: 1
Views: 214
More...
Old 08-02-2020, 02:29 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: ?
Not Ranked     
Looking for advice from the Old Pros...

So I'm in the repair mode after my little crash Welp... Fcuk my Luck...

I rattled can'd the tank and fenders where they got hit and I got a good deal on a used jack yesterday and was able to get her in the air today. Got the new battery in place and temporarily zip tied. Now here's where I need some input.

1. How should I mount a plate to the lower side to hold the battery in?
Weld, bolt,metal Adel clamps and a flat plate??? Looking for a temporary fix until winter time. I'll tare down and rebuild then!
2. I notice my front end doesn't seem to have any limit to travel now. I never noticed this before. It's as if the internal fork stops, have been broken. Is this even possible?
3. I noticed today that the Headlight plug that the bulb plugs into, show signs of overheating. I just ordered a new headlight assembly and was curious if there might be an electrical issue I may need to dive into, or can I just wire up the new light in place and be good to go?
4. My RH forward control is busted and I been trying to locate parts and/or a single replacement, but it looks like I'll be shelling out 800.00 for a new set.
5. I just noticed that the carb is loose at the jugs after taking the hit. Should be able to just snug them back up, right! Shit I sure hope so! I'll take a look soon as I get back home...
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for advice from the Old Pros...-screenshot_20200802-154830_gallery.jpg   Looking for advice from the Old Pros...-screenshot_20200802-154848_gallery.jpg   Looking for advice from the Old Pros...-screenshot_20200802-154735_gallery.jpg   Looking for advice from the Old Pros...-screenshot_20200802-154807_gallery.jpg   Looking for advice from the Old Pros...-screenshot_20200802-161715_gallery.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2020, 02:55 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1_4Life View Post
So I'm in the repair mode after my little crash Welp... Fcuk my Luck...

I rattled can'd the tank and fenders where they got hit and I got a good deal on a used jack yesterday and was able to get her in the air today. Got the new battery in place and temporarily zip tied. Now here's where I need some input.

1. How should I mount a plate to the lower side to hold the battery in?
Weld, bolt,metal Adel clamps and a flat plate??? Looking for a temporary fix until winter time. I'll tare down and rebuild then!

that,s a crappy place for a battery. Typically it should be vertical between the fender and starter, you seem to have room. A battery box from eBay with padding could be temporarily fixed in that nook and later installed appropriately

2. I notice my front end doesn't seem to have any limit to travel now. I never noticed this before. It's as if the internal fork stops, have been broken. Is this even possible? yes, those internal stops are not tough

3. I noticed today that the Headlight plug that the bulb plugs into, show signs of overheating. I just ordered a new headlight assembly and was curious if there might be an electrical issue I may need to dive into, or can I just wire up the new light in place and be good to go?
Probably can wait as it doesn,t seem related to the crash, but you might need thicker gauge wire to keep up with the amperage
4. My RH forward control is busted and I been trying to locate parts and/or a single replacement, but it looks like I'll be shelling out 800.00 for a new set.
If you,re hell bent on having the same - then you will. But look at eBay , see if there are cheaper options for the whole set.
5. I just noticed that the carb is loose at the jugs after taking the hit. Should be able to just snug them back up, right! Shit I sure hope so! I'll take a look soon as I get back home...Are the cylinders solid? Is the intake manifold ok? , carb body is without the damage? You will need to reinstall the manifold appropriately with the new orings
See my answers in red above.
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 1998/2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech FL 2014/2019 bobber
Old 08-02-2020, 06:24 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
STEINBVG...
1.Right you are correct, I do have room for a battery box, but I was looking for a possible secure way to leave it mounted in that location for now. I think I have an idea...
2. With the internal stops busted, is this a concern that can wait or should it be addressed right away?
3. That was my thoughts, probably have to run heavy gauge wire, especially with the new Headlight.
4. I'm not hell bent on keeping the same ones, I just want to ride! I'll check ebay!
5. Carb, intake manifold, cylinders all look good. The air cleaner cover took all the initial hit. I did get the wires repaired and connected to the battery this evening and tried it out. She turned over but that new battery needs to be put on the charger so it didn't fire right off.

It looks like I'll have to take the carb off and the ignition just to get to the four bolts holding the intake manifold on, correct? Also, how in the HELL do I get to those bolts. Seems to be no clearance for an Allen socket and extended Allen sockets appear to be to long.....
Old 08-02-2020, 07:44 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
STEINBVG...
1.Right you are correct, I do have room for a battery box, but I was looking for a possible secure way to leave it mounted in that location for now. I think I have an idea...
2. With the internal stops busted, is this a concern that can wait or should it be addressed right away?
3. That was my thoughts, probably have to run heavy gauge wire, especially with the new Headlight.
4. I'm not hell bent on keeping the same ones, I just want to ride! I'll check ebay!
5. Carb, intake manifold, cylinders all look good. The air cleaner cover took all the initial hit. I did get the wires repaired and connected to the battery this evening and tried it out. She turned over but that new battery needs to be put on the charger so it didn't fire right off.

It looks like I'll have to take the carb off and the ignition just to get to the four bolts holding the intake manifold on, correct? Also, how in the HELL do I get to those bolts. Seems to be no clearance for an Allen socket and extended Allen sockets appear to be to long.....
2. Not a problem as long as yo don,t let handlebars to hit the tank while parking
3. Perhaps the new headlight draws more amps than the previous one- thus heats up the wire, most likely 18 -20 gauge. I always run 16 on peripheral wires.it doesn,t take much more space or money.
4. I presume you have softail setup forwards. Should be plenty of options
5. There,s a special conveniently bent Allen wrench for the manifolds, but the long Allen with the ball at the end should do.

Make sure you look up manifold installation procedure to install the o rings correctly so you don,t have leaks. Otherwise she will run like shit, if at all.

I believe this is your biggest concern because you don,t know how much the intake/ carb were damaged. Could be a tiny invisible crack

Good luck
Old 08-03-2020, 08:20 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks STEIN! Let's hope for the best on the intake/carb
Old 08-03-2020, 07:56 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
Another issue with the headlight bulb could be a loose prong, if you are running a halogen bulb then that can get hot right there fast....go LED..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Old 08-08-2020, 07:01 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Hate it sometimes when season veterans give you advice and it turns out to be true... Got the bike mostly back together this evening. Battery tray is done and I was able to fix the forward control.. That's the good news 😜

Bad news, soon as I turn the petcock on, fuel starts pissing like a sieve from the lower side of the carb bowl. I had the carb off earlier and I didn't see any visible damage, but it's definitely pissin' from somewhere 😭
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for advice from the Old Pros...-screenshot_20200808-204404_gallery.jpg   Looking for advice from the Old Pros...-20200808_204919.jpg  
Old 08-08-2020, 07:35 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Hate it sometimes when season veterans give you advice and it turns out to be true... Got the bike mostly back together this evening. Battery tray is done and I was able to fix the forward control.. That's the good news 😜

Bad news, soon as I turn the petcock on, fuel starts pissing like a sieve from the lower side of the carb bowl. I had the carb off earlier and I didn't see any visible damage, but it's definitely pissin' from somewhere 😭
That,s what I was afraid of.
Try to find what,s leaking...

Disassemble check out the float and the needle that shuts off the fuel at a level.
Could be that it just all moved from the fall and not sitting/ sealing properly.
It might be repairable.

If there are cracks, body damages than perhaps not.
Keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2020, 08:42 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
... There's something fcuk'd here 🤬.. In both pics
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for advice from the Old Pros...-screenshot_20200809-103905_gallery.jpg   Looking for advice from the Old Pros...-screenshot_20200809-103932_gallery.jpg  
Old 08-09-2020, 09:28 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Looks like the float bowl is cracked.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:50 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Well just how in the hell did this happen 🤔🤔🤔? The two main carb mount bolts weren't loose when I took it apart! Did the phenolic spacer between the carb and manifold compress allowing the lower mount bolt to crush the side if the carb bowl... WTF 😩. I took a pretty hard hit, at speed but shit!
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for advice from the Old Pros...-screenshot_20200809-114634_gallery.jpg  
Old 08-09-2020, 09:51 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Hey STEINBVG ��️, I think we need a new one ��
Old 08-09-2020, 09:59 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Does the float action still work smoothly?
Old 08-09-2020, 10:50 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Yes, float still moves freely, I don't see any other issues besides the bowl being cracked
Old 08-09-2020, 11:25 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Most likely will need a new bowl.
I would follow the line of the impact , try to see what hit that particular spot and see if any other damage is visible.
Wierd spot to have that much damage isolated to such a small area.