Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > All Chopper Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Hellion CFL Build.
Last Post: DIABOLUS
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 487
Views: 91,030
Todds Cycle seat pan
Last Post: Miamio96
Replies: 1
Views: 42
New bobber needs more oil
Last Post: golfish
Replies: 16
Views: 286
Wire Plus WP143 - Turn Signal Cancel Module
Last Post: iwata
Replies: 3
Views: 1,607
Hello
Last Post: Poop
Replies: 2
Views: 57
More...
Old 07-29-2016, 11:20 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
are choppers that big of a money pit?

New guy here, trying to get some info before i make a purchace/trade. I know jap/itai bikes but im looking to switch up styles and go for something more relaxed. I found a couple of guys willing to trade some nice looking choppers on my ducati 1198. Since i know nothing about cruisers/choppers i stopped by a local "chopper/custom performance shop" today and as soon as i showed them the pics of the two bikes i was looking at they said RUN! i talked to a bunch of the guys at the shop and they all said the same thing, if i wanted to pay them to try to keep it running and fix what breaks every few weeks then buy a chopper, any chopper, even "big name" choppers, and they will have a customer for life, but if i want a bike i can ride and enjoy then run and get a standard harley. This seemed weird for a maintance shop, but looking at the selection of bikes they were working on they weren't hurting for income and were being honest with me. so whats the deal? As someone who used to have to fab tools and parts to keep old WAY out dated war ships running i am confused by this whole "stuff just keeps breaking and there is no way to make it right" concept.

PS... whats up with having to wait for a mod's approval to post anything after registering, i was looking for some advice before buying today, but 14 hours later my posts still are waiting for mom and dad's approval
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2016, 06:10 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
Don't listen..what the heck...the only difference is that some of the after market stuff you buy is not the same quality..but they are not money pitts....don't let any unexperienced wanna be
discourage you...they do cost quite a bit to piece together, so make sure you find something running that you can modify, it's much cheaper..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 07-30-2016 at 06:12 AM..
Old 07-30-2016, 06:19 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005-2012 Exile Cycle
Not Ranked     
I wouldn't call all chops money pits, it depends on the components used, builders skill, and the riding style. If you beat on it it will break and a big inch motor will be harder on components than a stock motor. Remember any joe, dick, or harry can weld up and build a custom bike so the quality of their work is unknown.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:41 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 88" ACM Rigid Bobber
Not Ranked     
It all depends on whether you want to ride or you want to do some work on your own. If you want a "chopper" the used choices are infinite and cheap. How the bike performs depends completely upon the build quality and the components used but that's why we build our own bikes. We know what we want the bike to look like, how it handles of the road, the ride quality, and the performance. Then you need do decide how you ride which will help you decide which components you need, if you want big power and you want to beat the snot out of it then names like S&S, Performance Machine, Baker and such will be important to you.

Here's what I recommend to everyone in your situation, buy a stock Harley and start to modify it a little bit at a time. You'll have a reliable bike and you'll get a better understanding of the direction that you want to go in while learning about the v-twin design. A ill handling hard tail with huge horsepower and mediocre brakes will turn you off to choppers in a short amount of time. Get some pics of bikes you like off the net and post them here and we can tell you the ins and outs of them, but we'll get a feel for what you're after and can lead you in the right direction.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:15 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
ok, thanks for the input, here is my post with some pics of the two bikes i was looking at doing a trade on my Ducati 1198 on.

New guy looking at a new to me bike, couple of questions

Like i said it threw me off that a shop that charges to do work on custom bikes would tell me not to get a chopper becuase they require too much work to keep running and are always breaking parts.

I like the look/style of either of these two, but i also dont want something that will be down for work more than riding. I'm tempted to pick up a used softail or police electra glide just to make the switch, but i would love to have something like the two i posted about (if then can be reliable rides)
Old 07-31-2016, 01:12 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2007, T/C 88 Custom
Not Ranked     
go for it. had my bike for about 5 years and will probably be buried with it. after you buy and ride for a while you will spend money on things you want to change. after that the bike becomes you. if something breaks or it,s time to change out a part just use this site and you tube. it's not rocket surgery...just pay attention to detail.
at 62 and bad knees a fatboy may be in the future, but the chop will never go away!
Old 02-03-2017, 07:14 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 bmc notorious big daddy chopper
Not Ranked     
every one is correct a chopper is a reflection of you, also quality and proper workmanship is important. anyone can buy a stock bike jap or Harley they all start out the same, you add your touch to them to make it yours. im partial to choppers just the look and knowing no one else has the identical bike I have is cool. even a stock bike if its ridden hard breaks or parts just wear out remember there are 7 p to follow piss poor planning produces a piss poor product stock or not it applies. choppers are always looked at first at any bike show, who wants a bike a thousand other people have. I like the feeling of working on my own bike and doing my own custom touches to it. I ride my chopper really hard, a lot of times my wallet gets hit not from broken parts but from tickets my own fault .so if you have any knowledge in wrenching at all go with the chopper you wont regret it good luck.

Last edited by loren; 02-03-2017 at 07:19 PM..
Old 02-05-2017, 08:26 AM
Punchbowl Lifeguard
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 03 BMC w/ S&S 124; 75 Honda chop
Not Ranked     
loren touched on an important point. indeed, chopper ownership is a reflection of one's commitment to the machine, rather than just the ride. longtime chopper riders necessarily learn their own machines, because paying someone else to do it for you is indeed more expensive. they require more frequent attention, and more attention to detail. a bare bones, vibrating street pounder will be much quicker to expose lazy mechanics, whether you or someone you pay.

they also, ideally, represent an artistic expression of ideals. what's most important to you in a motorcycle? what do you feel is left out of most production bikes? care to pay a nod to some particular engineering idea that you no longer see everyday? where is the fat to be trimmed from those overpriced, products of regulatory, bureaucratic red tape and endless compromise? conceive it, build it, tweak it, ride it, and then, biggest of all, commit to maintaining it.

it's not for everyone. to be honest, it's not always for me, as i go for stretches when i prioritize other things ahead of getting my bike back running and on the road. but i'm not looking to sell it, or buy a factory bike anytime soon. it'll take some buckling down, a little commitment, to ride my chop before some other bike. but it'll be worth it, to me. maybe not everybody.

when i'm riding my bike, it's like riding a horse i raised from a baby and broke myself. nobody else has ever ridden her, except for a couple of friends i let take her around the block. nobody knows what she feels like on a hard run. they can only look, and imagine. and me? i'm living it.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 88" ACM Rigid Bobber
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poop View Post
...when i'm riding my bike, it's like riding a horse i raised from a baby and broke myself. nobody else has ever ridden her, except for a couple of friends i let take her around the block. nobody knows what she feels like on a hard run. they can only look, and imagine. and me? i'm living it.
Wow, that's a perfect articulation of my feelings...well said Poop!
Old 02-05-2017, 01:10 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 bmc notorious big daddy chopper
Not Ranked     
hi poop been a long time since I have been on hope all is well with you and the family
also best to you captain its been a while hope the best to you and yours also
Old 02-06-2017, 06:24 AM
Punchbowl Lifeguard
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 03 BMC w/ S&S 124; 75 Honda chop
Not Ranked     
thanks, bud. my family has been very blessed in recent years. living the fucking dream, as far as i'm concerned. sounds like you're still getting some good times in on your scoot, and i'm happy to hear it. i hope all is good for your clan, as well.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:33 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poop View Post
loren touched on an important point. indeed, chopper ownership is a reflection of one's commitment to the machine, rather than just the ride. longtime chopper riders necessarily learn their own machines, because paying someone else to do it for you is indeed more expensive. they require more frequent attention, and more attention to detail. a bare bones, vibrating street pounder will be much quicker to expose lazy mechanics, whether you or someone you pay.

they also, ideally, represent an artistic expression of ideals. what's most important to you in a motorcycle? what do you feel is left out of most production bikes? care to pay a nod to some particular engineering idea that you no longer see everyday? where is the fat to be trimmed from those overpriced, products of regulatory, bureaucratic red tape and endless compromise? conceive it, build it, tweak it, ride it, and then, biggest of all, commit to maintaining it.

it's not for everyone. to be honest, it's not always for me, as i go for stretches when i prioritize other things ahead of getting my bike back running and on the road. but i'm not looking to sell it, or buy a factory bike anytime soon. it'll take some buckling down, a little commitment, to ride my chop before some other bike. but it'll be worth it, to me. maybe not everybody.

when i'm riding my bike, it's like riding a horse i raised from a baby and broke myself. nobody else has ever ridden her, except for a couple of friends i let take her around the block. nobody knows what she feels like on a hard run. they can only look, and imagine. and me? i'm living it.
Well said.

Maybe it's ego, or vanity, but I can't see myself riding something that so many other people have, something that gets lost in the parking lot.

Sport bikes, as well-engineered as they are, are very limited in how you can customize them. Crash pegs, longer swingarm, LED lights, and the obligatory Yoshimura sticker on the fart can. Still gets lost in the parking lot. I don't care how custom you think it is.

There's no mistaking a good chopper or bobber when you see one. I love that Harleys have evolved into a component-driven design that allows you to easily customize it and make it your own. Don't like the gas tank? Swap it out. Don't like the enclosed primary? Run an open belt. Don't like the skinny tire out back? Put a wider swingarm on it. On and on for the bars, forks, seat, fenders, pipes, etc. You can literally turn the bike into an expression of everything that makes you YOU. Jesse James said it best:

Choppers For Life
Old 02-10-2017, 06:40 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 80" bobbed prostreet,'06 RdKng.
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain america View Post
wow, that's a perfect articulation of my feelings...well said poop!
ditto..............
Old 07-01-2017, 08:33 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: A.I.C 2006 Texas Chopper 111 cu
Not Ranked     
my A.I.H.T.C $ 8,295.00 project taking away some items, and adding my own ideas thus making it fit me

https://youtu.be/A5db_CFi_0U
Sponsored Links