Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > All Chopper Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
WTB: chopper fucker battery box
Last Post: John Spartan
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 7
Views: 3,288
My Evo 5 & speed in FLH 4 speed frame
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 10-13-2019
Replies: 20
Views: 482
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Posted On: 10-12-2019
Replies: 41
Views: 6,776
Project Blast!
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 10-10-2019
Replies: 14
Views: 951
Keep killing batteries
Last Post: waxlrose
Posted On: 10-04-2019
Replies: 8
Views: 511
More...
Old 08-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Give me your 2 cents

Hi! I live in Finland and I am wondering how this sounds to your ear:

I am planning on building my first bobber from a possibly 1950s solid HD frame. The engine would be as big as possible Ultima (140CI?) with their own tranny as a powerplant of the bike. The engine would also use magneto and a kickstart only as I checked that Ultima engines have CRs as standard. Primary drive with belt as well as secondary.

The rear would be widened for 200-250 or even 300 wide tire and front end would get a springer on it without any angle mods. The frame would also need possibly some mods to fit the engine.

So, give me your opinions about this build on terms of driveability, reliability and general (in)sanity.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
141?..... go for it, don't forget that the 141 requires larger frame(mods)......I seriously would consider electric start...don't think you could utilize kick starter...no way ..mistake........
No problems at all out of my Ultima...........driveability high.....I am power hungry also.....welcome!

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Old 08-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Frame might need some work... as for the kick start, been there done that, never again, lol
Old 08-10-2015, 02:09 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
Well said Mr. Alien.....Remember well those days too? Limping out of the garage? At a bike rally with a crowd of people standing around snickering......Learning a whole new vocabulary/....The group pulling out from a gas station with you still there.........? years later with torn ligaments and calcium deposits in the knees......yes ..remember....can only imagine a 141 Ultima....If that one kicks back, forget it..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 08-10-2015 at 02:14 PM..
Old 08-10-2015, 07:41 PM
Club Chopper Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom
Send a message via Yahoo to pushrod243
Not Ranked     
Welcome to CC! The frame is your foundation of your build. A well thought out goal needs to be established before you pick your frame. The older HD frame is going to limit your options. Everything from the tranny mounts back will have to be changed to do what you have in mind.....Not sure what your laws are as far as building customs maybe those restrictions outweigh the work it will take to make a stock frame do what you want to do. If not I would suggest buying or building a frame that is already set up for the late model 5 or 6 speed and whatever width tire you want to run....
Suite 104
Sorrento, FL 32776
www.scootersperformance.com
(four0seven)330-2056

Old 08-10-2015, 08:18 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wow, so many answers have came when I was asleep. So, in here, we need to use older (1950s) frames if we dont want to care of emissions, noise or that newer bike- nonsense. Aftermarket frames are therefore out of question since theyre considered as 2015 bikes when being reigstered.
Im not into frame mods too much so I was going to give it to a professional with tools to complete the job. I found out that there are many good cheap bikes to start building in the states, but what kind of frame would you recommend from 1950s? Sportster frames are no preferred.
What you guys think of durability of 140 Ultima? I would use the bike in town riding as well as a occasional longer trips- Ive done it with 1956 FLH if memory serves right. We drove 600km trip and no blood from anywhere, as opposed to popular opinion. (Im still 20 years old so that might have something to do with it)
Old 08-11-2015, 06:56 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
120 and 127" ultimas produce a lot of heat, i can only imagine how 140 behaves.

In a hot climate with slow traffic[ city traffic] i believe they might not be practical.

Any time temp hits 85 or more, i ride my 96" or 113". Perhaps i overreact...but i will have the fall for the bikes with the bigger engines.

Surprisingly, vibration doesn't seem an issue with a solidly built frames, can't speak for the 140ci though. On you-tube i only saw a couple of examples of 140, i don't know if there's much experience out there.

113"s&s, Walz softail 2000/2012 prostreet
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 1998/2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech rigid 2014 bobber
Old 08-11-2015, 09:33 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Okay, so only problem would be engine heat... How about oil cooler? Would that help things any better?
Old 08-11-2015, 06:26 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitsu View Post
Okay, so only problem would be engine heat... How about oil cooler? Would that help things any better?
Only works in movement, in slow traffic might not make a difference.
Unless there are coolers with fan/ thermostat... I don,t know if they exist .
But top of the engine might not cool enough any way- it gets very little oil.

I think 140 " bike is a cool bar hopper, but not an every day thing.

113"s&s, Walz softail 2000/2012 prostreet
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 1998/2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech rigid 2014 bobber
Old 08-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Yeah, I guess the 140 is just something to be used on drag strip or then at bar and just brag about having it... I mean, I dont mind a little dirt under nails every now and then, but if the oiling is a problem, the engine might be a little too care- requiring. Need to start thinking about 127? Where would be a good place to buy modified frames in USA or Canada? Theres not too many modded or even OEM specs frames from 50s here in Finland so I was going to give a shot. The frame, once finished, should have the official owner documents, and the date of manufacture- just for our MOT inspector.

Someone asked about chopper laws in Scandinavian Finland, and we use 2 paths:
1: You use an aftermarket frame and make it to meet 2015 emission, noise and safety laws. These measures are usually too expensive for regular builder to go through so this way is not for the weak- walleted.
2: You buy an OEM used frame or a complete bike. Emissions etc. are required by the year of manufacture, which, prior to 1960, are almost non- existent. The frame mods pre- 60s bike are ok as long as welds etc seem to be strong enough. (inspected just with eye).
- If you use a complete bike and start swapping parts in it, the MOT inspector starts calculating percents, which is 100= out of factory motorcycle. The frame is 28%, engine is another 28% and rest is fenders, lights, front ends, wheels and the list goes on. If more than 50% of parts have been changed, the bike loses its identity and needs to be re- registered as "self- manufactured" and then it also needs the 2015 regulations as well.

Thats it in a nutshell.

Hope someone was interested in learning about our laws!
Old 07-02-2016, 10:05 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I finally found out a suitable bike to work on there in the US!

However, Im still considering about Ultima 250 rigid with their own springer with 16" rear wheel and 21" front wheel. Are they enough for their 140? They seem to claim that any of their engine fits on their frames, so I guess they should also be durable enough for them as well. I spoke with my local milling shop and they said that they can balance the engine for a bit less shaky feel. They also mentioned about dropping the compression a bit.

The other thing I need advice on is the electrical and starting thingies: if I want to run dual fire, can it be done with a mag and kicker? Ultima advertises that their 6 speed kicker is designed for their competition series, but I heard something else.

The conclusion I went to was, that Im going to use the old scrap bike with title and registration papers, then start switching stuff from the old bike so I can avoid emissions, noise and safety requirements. Thats the only way this could be done in theory. Please, make me wiser.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2016, 04:57 PM
Slow=Smooth, Smooth=Fast
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 03 BMC w/ S&S 124; 75 Honda chop
Not Ranked     
well, since you're asking for two cents...

forget the ultima. forget the insane big cubes and compression. it's fun, yeah, but 13 years or so after my first big engine, i'm excited more by mild to medium mills in bare, stripped down frames, built to be reliable. with as much as i have going on in my life, reliable counts for a lot of fun. does that make me sound old? perhaps. mind you, i'm not talking a stock bike. just a well-mannered motor. keep it stripped down, light, and you'll have tons of fun with a 96".