Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > All Chopper Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
NEW YORK FREEDOM RIDER NEWS 1/21/21 motorcycle related updates
Last Post: karen
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 24
WCC Hellbent Pipes (Stainless)
Last Post: GodDethroned
Posted On: 01-20-2022
Replies: 3
Views: 442
Any custom fuel tank MFGS Left?
Last Post: Spade115
Posted On: 01-19-2022
Replies: 10
Views: 304
WCC 4 Up 2 Out Frame For Sale
Last Post: GodDethroned
Posted On: 01-18-2022
Replies: 2
Views: 419
NEW YORK FREEDOM RIDER NEWS 1/14/21 motorcycle related updates
Last Post: karen
Posted On: 01-16-2022
Replies: 0
Views: 104
More...
Old 10-10-2004, 11:03 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Want a Ridgeback
Not Ranked     
Merch vs S&S vs Revtech

I've read alot about S&S and Revtech engines on this site. But very little on Merck engines made in Canada. Anyone have experience and opinions on these engines. I understand the orginal company folded. But it has been resurrected with some of the original founders.

Checkout http://www.merchmotorworkz.com/about.htm

Last edited by amosketo; 10-10-2004 at 11:07 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2005, 12:08 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005 Merch RT 120
Not Ranked     
Interesting comment.
We do still produce the original evo style 120, 125 and 131 and all the parts.
We also make a 100 and a 114 Fatso engine and a new Hybred 120, 125 131 and 140 with a 150 out very soon.
Gerry Merchant (Merch) is very much still alive and making motors.
The public company, Merch Performance folded and left the production arm high and dry. (Thats Gerry and Merch Motorcycles) www.merchmotorcycles.com
As a share holder only, gerry was asked to leave 2 1/2 years before the public company stopped operations. They were into sales only and no R&D (typical bean counters)
He insisted on R&D and his request was met with a termination notice.
Jesse James loved the motors as did Jim Nassi, Jesse Rooke, Eddie Trotta Roger Golammer,etc.
So the comment about the companies past and the comment about past motors is a rumor mill gab fest.
Merch did non branded short blocks for some of the very top and best "motor builders" who said the motors were thier own.
Merch brought about the square motors (4 1/4 x 4 1/4) and the 120 now evryone does it and claims the glory.
Gerry recieved the motorcycle industries award for the most inovative product for that.
Gerry does his walk BEFORE he does his talk.
Most others are busy telling you what they can do then screwing it up.
If gerry has a fault it is NOT blowing his own horn.
Gerry Merchant is probably the industries best motor manufacturing gear head and a well respected business man with all the top builders.
He had some shit luck, but so did Harley. Remenmber when they almost went broke but were saved in the 11th hour.
Did anyone stop buying Harley or make shit comments.
Who refers to thier past and holds off buying a bike because they had a failing?
You notice the new motors are called MERCH, not bills or bob's or jo-jo's or some other thing.
The motors are great and produce rear wheel torque that simply can not be copied. Peroid!
They can be viewed at www.merchmotorworkz.com
Don't listen to gossip. Check Merch out and make you own decision.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1996 FLSTF
Not Ranked     
On the Merch website there are no retail prices listed and no link to dealers listed. Do you sell direct and quote only as requested?

I am interested in a quote on a polished 120? Where to they fall pricewise as compared to the Elbruto and the S&S?
Old 07-05-2005, 06:09 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
[quote]Originally posted by Merch
[b]Interesting comment.

So the comment about the companies past and the comment about past motors is a rumor mill gab fest.
Merch did non branded short blocks for some of the very top and best "motor builders" who said the motors were thier own.
Merch brought about the square motors (4 1/4 x 4 1/4) and the 120 now evryone does it and claims the glory.
Gerry recieved the motorcycle industries award for the most inovative product for that.
Gerry does his walk BEFORE he does his talk.
Most others are busy telling you what they can do then screwing it up.

interesting comment for sure, i dont believe merchant invented square motors any more than ford invented the auto....and the fact is alot of customers were floating in the breeze all of a sudden one day when they woke up
i dont see s&s crapping out, i dont see merch reinventing the shovel, or twin cam either
nothing against the motors or the man, but going around blaming it all on other folks is just plain silly...nobody leveraged his ass to the hilt cept him...revisionist history...

like i said i know the product was right, this is only directed at your interesting comments...not the man, or the motors, cause i respect both, and would be interested in dealership status again...got app?

Last edited by gypsy chopper; 07-05-2005 at 06:23 AM..
Old 07-05-2005, 06:19 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 05 Custom - Omen II
Not Ranked     
If Jesse Rooke used Merch, I don't want one !!!!!

Actually, a friend of mine has a Merch 131 with NOS, it goes like hell, but I do know they are easy to 'pop' without the NOS, I think he did twice in about a year.
another person i know has been using the Fatso engines, i think stamping FATSO on the heads in big bold letters looks like shit, the 'show polish' finish was only a bit better than Ultimas 'polish' finish and i they were quite a bit more $$$. like Cal said, closer to TP pricing......no carb or ignition i think.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:20 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
would their be a tax or fee for import i wonder
Old 07-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 05 CFL
Not Ranked     
I do believe that motorcycle parts are duty free.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Maxim 700..gettin chopped
Not Ranked     
We just so happen to be an Authorized Ontario dealer for Merch Motorworkz, and we have installed a 100 cube fatso into a customers bike....and to be quite honest, it hauls serious ass with no trouble at all.
Here is the bike with the Fatso, bike was a '75 Shovel, now its a Hardley....

Here is a link from Merch's site to a list of their dealers,,,

Dealers for Merch

WebHeadJames
Old 07-08-2005, 01:41 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 97 rubber mnt softail 120 Merch
Not Ranked     
Hey, Web head

good to see another Merch dealer around !! I'm riding an old long rod 120 and funny just put a fatso in an 83 Flh that looks like yours but with the batwing fairing !!! My 120 has run an 11.99 and rode it to the track 2 1/2 hours and rode it home . And I'm 250lbs . So it cooks pretty good . And in 7 years the heads have been off twice both times for more porting . For me it's never been about the company , its about the man and his motors . Simply the best ! Big block , truck motors . Red
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2005, 08:45 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 10 foot of Thunder
Not Ranked     
Friend of mine had a 120 that he couldn't keep running. So I guess it's not all good, just normal.
For myself, I would put one in my ride, I would also consider S&S. To make this decision I would look at cost per CUBE per HP - VS warranty VS know issues, slap my coin down and take the chance based on my decision.
Notice that "know issues" is last but still an important part of the equation, therefore manufacturers performance (past and present) is considered as is the number of locations where service can be obtained. Shops like Cal's Gypsy's, Phantoms etc, carrying the line would help validify MERCH as a quality product.
Am I the only one that would go through this process?,,, I think not!

Oh Yeah: MERCH, see that you have 4 posts, Welcome to CC. Hope you stick around to keep us updated on the happenings around the company.

Last edited by Freak; 07-08-2005 at 08:47 AM..
Old 07-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Maxim 700..gettin chopped
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Shops like Cal's Gypsy's, Phantoms etc, carrying the line would help validify MERCH as a quality product.
Not to sound out of line or anything, but what makes you think that having the above shops carry the line would be anymore validating than a list of 20 or so dealers?

Granted, Cal, Phantom, and Gypsy have been at it a while, but why would they be anymore significant than any other shops?

WebHeadJames
Old 07-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2006, XTC Choppers Pro-Street, TP 124
Not Ranked     
Not only am I a distributor of Merch products, I am an avid user of the product as well. I am not going to sit here and debate who likes what better (Ford vs. Chevy???) I can tell you that Merch is the only motor that is COMPLETELY North American made (U.S.A. & Canada) Yes, the others do contain foreign parts content and farm out work to foreign lands, sorry to bust your bubble.

Merch, as with any company, will have problems that arise from time to time. This is a normal occurence in machinery and moving parts. What I feel sets a company apart from the rest is the way these issues are resolved. Merch stands behind their product.

Ask anyone who has taken one apart the level of quality and attention to detail on the most minor things, you'd be surprised with the response you will get. Don (HDFACTORYCERT) has taken one apart and can validate my point here.

This is a company that has gone through some struggles, again not uncommon for any company, (Remember HD!!!) and looks to retake their thrown as "THE BIG INCH KING"

P.S. American Dealer inquiries welcome, must be a legitimate "brick and mortar" shop. Call 866-488-9911
sales@xtcchoppers.com
Old 07-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 01 Fatboy,65 Matchless, 83 V-65, +more
Send a message via AIM to rastoy
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by WebHeadJames
Not to sound out of line or anything, but what makes you think that having the above shops carry the line would be anymore validating than a list of 20 or so dealers?

Granted, Cal, Phantom, and Gypsy have been at it a while, but why would they be anymore significant than any other shops?

WebHeadJames
Cause we like them better

Nevermind, you're hopeless.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 10 foot of Thunder
Not Ranked     
I did indicate etc, meaning other shops, dealers as well.
I for 1 have Confidence in those shops, and respect their owners opinions. You may have a list of several other shops that you personally have the same confidence and respect for therefore, you might have listed those shops before the all inclusive "etc"

Edit

Didn't see you on the dealers list there XTC therefore until now, did not know you were carrying the line.
We don't have any dealers here in South Georgia so obviously, my first recource when considering the motor would be to get feedback from those that know the product, the new produce, not the old product... History is just that, history

Last edited by Freak; 07-08-2005 at 09:51 AM..
Old 07-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2006, XTC Choppers Pro-Street, TP 124
Not Ranked     
Freak, I am not on the dealers list because I am a distributor, meaning I sell to other dealers at wholesale.

New product or old product, they are one in the same. Both feature Gerry Merchant pantented designs. The big bore EVO styles are still available as well as the new hybrid big bore styles.
Replacement parts are still available and legitimate warranty issues are being taken care of.

If you know of a shop or are one yourself please feel free to contact either me or Merch directly, same prices and customer service either way.

Kevin,
866-488-9911
sales@xtcchoppers.com