View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 07:15 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
DNA Springer Brake Setup

All,

I'm trying to setup the front brake on my DNA wide glide springer front end. The brake and bracket are from Fabricator Kevin who is also trying to give me a hand via phone. He can't open the e-mail attachments at the moment (since he's at bike week ) so I thought I would take a shot here.

As you can see from the photos when I center the wheel and line up the brake anchor rod parallel to the wheel there's about a 1/2" space between the inside of the bracket and the outside of the heim joint.

1. Can I cut a spacer and get a longer bolt to solve this issue or will the torque of the caliper grabbing the rotor cause too much twisting torque on the anchor bolt? I hope that makes sense. In the second picture you can see another shot of the same thing.

2. Another question - should there be a washer between the axle nut and the outside part of the springer? Seem like the axle nuts will bottom out without a washer on each side. I assume it would be best to red locktite one axle nut and use blue on the otherside since there's no positive retention like a cotter pin?

3. Lastly, DNA sent the hardware in picture three - from left to right I assume a wheel spacer, brass shim for?, axle nut washer?, and ???

I looked through all the saved threads and couldn't find anything similar. I did read that the caliper bracket must be able to float on the axle and that the wheel bearings must be properly preloaded.

Any help would be most appreciated as usual.

Thanks,
Lou

Last edited by MickieN; 03-04-2009 at 08:03 PM..
Sponsored Links