This is my first big stroke engine so I had 2 minor issues that I wasn’t sure of that pertain to a big stroke. So a big thank you go out to Gypsy and Don for clearing them up!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had no intention on doing this when I was putting it together so please forgive the lack of some pics.
The first thing I did was to clean the crankshaft assembly. Once that was done, I pressed on the inner Timkken bearing. I then cleaned and blew dried the left case and installed it onto the sprocket shaft. Then I installed the bearing spacer, and pressed the outer bearing on. At this stage I did this dry. No lube. I then cleaned and installed the right side case and torqued to spec. making sure to follow the proper tightening sequence. Next, I preloaded the main bearings by installing my bearing tool and tightening. I checked the crankshaft endplay with a dial indicator. Once I saw that it was fine, I disassembled the cases and pressed the left case off the sprocket shaft.
Next I took some Vaseline and lubed the inner bearing and race. Then placed the left case back over the bearing. Put the bearing spacer in and lubed the outer bearing and race, and pressed it till it bottomed.