View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 05:05 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-19; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
Rsd

RSD TYPICALLY USED STARTING AT 250 TIRE.

IT WAS DEVELOPED SO THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION HAVE NO OFFSETS AND ARE IN STOCK POSITION RELATING TO THE FRAME AND EACH OTHER WHEN YOU GO WITH VERY FAT TIRES. SO THE BIKE BALANCES CORRECTLY.
I DON'T BELIEVE THERE'S AN OFFSET TRANSMISSION PLATE TO THE RIGHT, BUT I'M PRETTY SURE IT CAN BE DESIGNED, OR EVEN PERHAPS RE DRILLED FROM A STOCK ZERO OFFSET PLATE. BUT WHY?

THE PRIMARY MUST CONNECT TRANY AND MOTOR W/O ANY ADDITIONAL SPACERS, HOWEVER, DEPENDING ON A MANUFACTURER OF OPEN BELT, YOU MAY NEED TO USE A BIT OFFSET MOTOR PULLEY TO COMPENSATE FOR THE THICKNESS AND MACHINING OF THE MOTOR PLATE- TO ALIGN IT WITH THE CLUTCH BASKET.[ I BELIEVE I USED .5 OFFSET WITH RIVERA BRUTO IV, BECAUSE OF THEIR THICKNESS[ MOTOR PLATE WAS ZERO OFFSET]

NOW.
THE REST OF ALIGNMENT IS BETWEEN THE TRANSMISSION SPROCKET AND THE WHEEL SPROCKET.
TYPICALLY THE RSD TRANY SPROCKET RUNS UP TO 1.5" OFFSET, WITH BIG OFFSETS IN INCREMENTS OF .25[ MOTORWAY ENGINEERING, VULCAN]. MIND YOU THE LSD BIGGEST OFFSET SPROCKET IS 0.9, TO FIT INSIDE OF THE CAVITY AND SOME FIT BETTER THAN OTHERS.

THE REAR SPROCKET ON THE WHEEL CAN BE SPACED AND SHIMMED IN SMALLER INCREMENTS- SO BETWEEN THE 2 YOU CAN ACHIEVE A PERFECTION[ INDEED THE WHEEL IS CENTERED AND YOU ALLOW THE CHAIN CLEARANCE FROM THE TIRE].

HOWEVER, THE THICK SPROCKET ON TRANY WILL NOT FIT WITH THE CLUTCH ACTUATOR- THAT ONE WOULD NEED TO BE SPACED OUT. IT HAS 3 MOUNTING BOLTS, 3 INDIVIDUAL 5/16 ID , I BELIEVE, SPACERS OF APPROPRIATE LENGTH FOR EACH BOLT WILL DO BECAUSE OF THE AXIS OF THE JOB IT DOES. NO NEE FOR FANCY MACHINING.

IF THE RSD FINAL CHAIN IS INSIDE THE FRAME- YOU SHOULD BARELY NEED ANY TRANY SPROCKET OFFSET, ESPECIALLY WITH A 'PUNY' 250 TIRE.

HOWEVER, IF THE CHAIN RUNS OUTSIDE THE FRAME, LIKE IN MY CASE- I HAD TO USE 1.5 " OFFSET SPROCKET. AND THE WHEEL HUB IS VERY EXTENDED FOR THE REAR SPROCKET.

96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 1998/2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech FL 2014/2019 bobber

Last edited by STEINBVG; 08-05-2020 at 05:08 AM..